Replacing 4 breakers with 2.

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-09, 02:42 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing 4 breakers with 2.

Hello,

I have an older square D breaker box with a 100 amp main. I have QO breakers. I need to install a 240v 2 pole 70 amp breaker for a TIG welder. I am essentially hard wiring the TIG straight from the breaker to the TIG itself, who needs plugs?

Originally I was going to just stick into 2 4awg copper wires into a 2pole 50 amp breaker that is already in use by my stove but I think it would be a better idea to do it this way. I have several 15 amp breakers, I am sure that one of the breakers is essentially never used for one of the upstairs rooms that is currently being used as a storage room. I'd still like to have the option of turning on a light in that room though, so I am thinking that I will take four 15 amp breakers out and stick in two single pole 30 amp breakers and either splice one of the other wires in, or just stick both in where the nut is and screw it tight on both 30 amp breakers. I can see this is already going on at a few of my breakers.

I know that I cannot expect to draw the fill 70 amps from the breaker and have much else going on in the house without the tripping the main breaker, I doubt I am drawing much more than 20 amps at a time as it is. Does all this sound logical?

https://www.baybreakersonline.com/squaredsqd/qo130.html
https://www.baybreakersonline.com/squaredsqd/qo270.html
These are the breakers I am thinking I will buy.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-09, 04:13 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Taking 2 15 amp circuits and putting them on a 30 amp breaker is not a good idea and also illegal. You can get tandem breakers for your panel and free up space for your new one.

I think QO breakers also are made to accept 2 wires so, if those 15 amps loads aren't that great, you could double up on those, to free up 2 spaces or pigtail those and take 1 wire to the breaker. Either way, don't do what you're proposing.

I would get a 60 amp breaker instead of a 70 because the price jumps pretty much after 60.

The tandem breakers for your panel may be listed as "replacement only" if so, they'll be pretty expensive too.

Old 09-03-09, 05:07 AM
P
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
Taking 2 15 amp circuits and putting them on a 30 amp breaker is not a good idea and also illegal. You can get tandem breakers for your panel and free up space for your new one.

I think QO breakers also are made to accept 2 wires so, if those 15 amps loads aren't that great, you could double up on those, to free up 2 spaces or pigtail those and take 1 wire to the breaker. Either way, don't do what you're proposing.

I would get a 60 amp breaker instead of a 70 because the price jumps pretty much after 60.

The tandem breakers for your panel may be listed as "replacement only" if so, they'll be pretty expensive too.
So, you suggest, instead of getting two 30 amp breakers I get two tandem 15 amp breakers? It sounds like that comes out to 30 amps.

15/ 15A Plug On Circuit Breaker # QOT1515CP by Your One Source looks like this is what you are referring to?

Seems like you are right about the 60 amp breaker though, the price difference from what I can see so far is 19 bucks. It's power I probably am not going to be needing.

Old 09-03-09, 07:16 AM
D
Originally Posted by Pinjas View Post
So, you suggest, instead of getting two 30 amp breakers I get two tandem 15 amp breakers? It sounds like that comes out to 30 amps.
There is nothing 30a about a 15a tandem breaker. Its a cheater breaker that allows 2 separate 15a circuits occupying one "space". Your panel must also be listed for use of tandem breakers. The manufacturer can also list the max amount of tandem breakers listed to be installed within the enclosure

Old 09-03-09, 07:35 AM
P
Originally Posted by Danny7633 View Post
There is nothing 30a about a 15a tandem breaker. Its a cheater breaker that allows 2 separate 15a circuits occupying one "space". Your panel must also be listed for use of tandem breakers. The manufacturer can also list the max amount of tandem breakers listed to be installed within the enclosure
How exactly would I go about finding this information?

Old 09-03-09, 07:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
You are continuing to show a totally disregard for either you and you families safety or the safety of anyone that occupies your house at a later date. You also have an extremely limited knowledge of electrical matters.

You seem bent on doing whatever you please regardless of what the contributors here have told you.

I would strongly suggest that you hire a professional.

Closed Thread