Help with a Dayton 230V Motor

Old 09-03-09, 04:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with a Dayton 230V Motor

Hello All,

I have an older Dayton motor model MC-261. I want to wire it for 240V, but I don't have a wiring diagram. The terminal block has 4 spade connectors labeled 1 through 4, from top to bottom, plus a ground screw. Numbers one and two are single spades and three and four have to spades. The diagram on the motor shows the line going to number 4 and the "ungrounded line to supply" going to number 1. I was under the impression that that to wire it for 240V that I would have two 120lines and one neutral going to he terminal. Do I just connect one 240v line to the spade? I'm confused and hoping someone could help. I will provide these two pics:

Thank You,
Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-09, 06:43 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is there a capacitor mounted to it? It is capacitor start.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-03-09 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-03-09, 08:13 PM
P
i have the exact motor on a compressor in my garage.
it does have the capacitor on top.(you can see the bottom of it in the photo)
when i took off my access cover i had wires not plug-ins.
i was hopeing to have the same hook-up to tell you how it was. mine does not have a diagram on it either.

Old 09-03-09, 10:52 PM
B
This is a single voltage (230 volts) single rotation non reversible 2 pole motor.

Does it have two capacitors on top of it or one?

The motor nameplate says capacitor start but I worry it may be capacitor start capacitor run due to its horsepower and application as a compressor duty motor.

EDIT:deleted earlier post in order to get clarification

This much is for sure your line connections are 1 and 4 but we need to figure out the connection for the start winding if there is a run and start capacaitor on the motor.

Last edited by Bruto; 09-04-09 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-04-09, 02:29 AM
S
Originally Posted by Bruto View Post
This is a single voltage (230 volts) single rotation non reversible 2 pole motor.

Does it have two capacitors on top of it or one?

The motor nameplate says capacitor start but I worry it may be capacitor start capacitor run due to its horsepower and application as a compressor duty motor.

EDIT:deleted earlier post in order to get clarification

This much is for sure your line connections are 1 and 4 but we need to figure out the connection for the start winding if there is a run and start capacaitor on the motor.
It has two capacitors on top, see attached:

Old 09-04-09, 10:49 AM
B
Ok it has a run capacitor. I don't see any connection on the diagram to the terminals 2 and 3 so I am inclined to think all you need is your 230 volt line connections to 1 and 4. You have a 230 volt motor so there is no neutral just two hot wires from a double pole breaker and ground to the screw indicated on the wiring compartment. I don't see any loose capacitor wires so those are connected internally and at the capacitors themselves.

You need a 6 -20 P 250 volt and matching receptacle if you cord and plug this motor.

You would have two choices for this motor my best guess is the first drawing I made the second is the next drawing. If you want to be absolutely sure call Graingers they are the Dayton people ...have all the nameplate data available when you call them.

Grainger Industrial Supply

Old 09-04-09, 08:39 PM
B
Sorry I accidently deleted the diagrams from the host site... MY choice is the 2nd diagram

Old 09-05-09, 05:54 PM
S
Originally Posted by Bruto View Post
Ok it has a run capacitor. I don't see any connection on the diagram to the terminals 2 and 3 so I am inclined to think all you need is your 230 volt line connections to 1 and 4. You have a 230 volt motor so there is no neutral just two hot wires from a double pole breaker and ground to the screw indicated on the wiring compartment. I don't see any loose capacitor wires so those are connected internally and at the capacitors themselves.

You need a 6 -20 P 250 volt and matching receptacle if you cord and plug this motor.

You would have two choices for this motor my best guess is the first drawing I made the second is the next drawing. If you want to be absolutely sure call Graingers they are the Dayton people ...have all the nameplate data available when you call them.

Grainger Industrial Supply

Thanks for all your help, I'm going to order these connectors:

Plug,Locking,20 A - Twist Lock Devices - Plugs and Receptacles - Electrical : Grainger Industrial Supply
Receptacle,Single,20 A - Twist Lock Devices - Plugs and Receptacles - Electrical : Grainger Industrial Supply
Stainless Wallplate - Electrical Wall Plates - Plugs and Receptacles - Electrical : Grainger Industrial Supply

I'm going to go with the two lines going to one and four. Once again thanks,
Greg