New style duplex / quad breakers

Old 09-03-09, 06:52 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New style duplex / quad breakers

need to upgrade loadcenter from old (GE 100amp.-26 single slot almost full). Scored a great deal on Cutler Hammer 200amp BR2040B200R but need some advice on the new style breakers. Need to put in at least two 50amp and one 60 amp plus the usual 30, 40, 20 for a 2 story house with normal appliances. Hoping I can use this box since it will take the new BD breakers. Wondering if I can also use the BQ type? Would it be better to use BR type in the larger amp (50) and BD in the 20/20 - 20/30 or does it matter? Do they trip independently?
AND I do not intend to install this myself, will use a certified electrician. Just hope to barter labor so want to have parts ready. Any help appreciated.

Old 09-03-09, 07:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
There should be a label inside the panel that lists the acceptable breakers that can be used in that panel.

Old 09-03-09, 07:18 PM
D
It does list BR / BD & BQ plus a few more, but would it be better to use the BQ or the BD or does it matter? Can't find anything on the Eaton site.

Old 09-03-09, 07:50 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The BR2040B200R is 20 full space or 40 twinners or duplex breaker spacing and it is 200 amp unit and R mean raintight useally a outdoor panel.

you can go eitherway with BR or BQ series breakers.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-03-09, 08:14 PM
D
Thanks, got that off the eaton site before i bought it. Was wondering about the breakers themselves. Do they trip independently? Is there any difference in power / heating up / burning out from the single br type? Does it matter what combination of the quads or duos i use? Thanks

Old 09-03-09, 08:45 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dringrn
Thanks, got that off the eaton site before i bought it. Was wondering about the breakers themselves. Do they trip independently? Is there any difference in power / heating up / burning out from the single br type? Does it matter what combination of the quads or duos i use? Thanks
To get your question answer here.,

Q. Do the breakers trip independently ?

A. Yes and No depending on what format you get in quad breaker setup it will come in either common trip or independent trip format so it mean like example inside two breaker are common trip and outside two pole breaker can be either independent trip or common or indiviual trips.

Q.Is there any difference in power / heating up / burning out from the single br type?

A. No they are not any differnace at all between single or multi pole breakers.

The other thing if you order quad breaker format make sure you be carefull when you get corret one for your useage due there are few ways it can be used as I mention above in Q&A section.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-03-09, 09:37 PM
D
Thanks. I'll do some more research before I purchase the quads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: