GFCI lit up.

Old 09-03-09, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI lit up.

I don't know what is going on with this thing. I installed it exactly the same way as all the other functioning ones but it's doing something odd.

The little red LED on the side is partially lit up.

I don't know what this means. I ran the test and it supplys power to my test fan. And when I push the test button it cuts off the power. When I push reset it powers it back up. As it should. But unlike the other 2 GFCI outlets I installed I can see the red light visibly

It's not fully brightened because when I flip the test it flashes 3x brighter. The instructions don't make any mention of whats wrong if anything if the LED is lit up.

Can anyone tell me whats up with this? I have to make sure it's right so I can have it inspected. Prompt attention would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-09, 08:44 PM
Can you tell us what brand name the GFCI it is maybe I may know a trick or two.

Any chance this GFCI is feeded from MWBC { multiwire branch circuit }?

Merci,Marc

Old 09-03-09, 09:08 PM
It's a North Tech 20 amp GFCI Receptacle.

It just has your standard load on top, line on bottom, ground on most bottom. (granted you put it in with the ground on the bottom like normal, the instructions show it upside down.) And a single red LED light.

Old 09-03-09, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by NoobAtElectrica View Post
It's a North Tech 20 amp GFCI Receptacle.

It just has your standard load on top, line on bottom, ground on most bottom. (granted you put it in with the ground on the bottom like normal, the instructions show it upside down.) And a single red LED light.

North Tech ?? humm never heard that one sound like genraic { cheap } brand to me due you mention load connections is on the top so that is reversed what I useally have with good products.

I know you may heard this before but let me remind it again to refresh any other readers as well.

Make sure you have correct line and load conductors in correct pair fashion.

If you get any one of the line or load netural conductor reversed it may work but it will not responded very well due alot of new GFCI I deal with real good one they have smartlock in there so if they sensed reversed the GFCI will stay lockout mode the ditto if failure mode as well.

And the other thing the cheap GFCI's do not take the surge very kindly at all I did see few get damaged from surage.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-03-09, 10:06 PM
It was a cheap made in china thing. But I'm broke and even 10$ for one of these things is pushin it for me. I dunno whats up with it.

I'm gonna keep messing with it till I get it right though. It was functioning right according to the test. But I didn't want that light to be on when it gets inspected because I figured it'd raise a red flag and get it failed.

Edit:

I can't get the red light to stop glowing no matter what I do. It's all hooked up correctly so I don't know what's going on because it appears to work. I wonder what the light means and why it's glowing. Maybe I just got one with a faulty LED... I don't know.. This is really distressing. I can't fail the inspection. I don't know if that'll cause me to fail or not.

It's either the cheap Chinese part which I bought at Menards. Or it's the wiring those red necks did. Which also seemed to be alittle odd. The Ground wire from the line wires was twisted around the other ground wire. I untwisted them and evened them out to see if that was the problem but that didn't change anything either.

Last edited by NoobAtElectrica; 09-04-09 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-04-09, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
The red LED just is there to show you have power there. If the GFCI were to trip you would then know it is the GFCI tripping and not the breaker because the LED shows you still have power present at the device.

You are just fine and will not get flagged for that. Just as long at it works properly.

Save BIG money!

Old 09-04-09, 08:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
The ground wires should be connected together with a crimp sleeve or a wire nut. They should also attach to the device and to the box if metal.

You say that you cannot get this one to function like the others. I am going to assume that the LED is off on the others when power is on?

Some brands show the LED when the power is on, others show the LED when it has tripped.

Please check the connections. Perhaps one of the wires is just outside the clamp, but still touching.

Old 09-04-09, 09:57 AM
if you installed a few and this one is giving you problems why not replace it? The retailer should swap it out free of charge due to its defect.

Old 09-04-09, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Danny7633 View Post
if you installed a few and this one is giving you problems why not replace it? The retailer should swap it out free of charge due to its defect.
I agree with Danny's thoughts. Just bring it back and they should give you a new one. As a side note the GFCI you have are the bottom of the line but should work OK.

Jim

Old 09-04-09, 07:26 PM
nap
there are some GFCI's in the new building I am working on that uses the red LED as a diagnostic light. If it remains on all the time, it means the GFCI is not functioning properly and needs to be replaced.

I don't know the brand but I can assure you, if they could get them for $10 they would be thrilled. I would guess better than twice that since they are hospital grade.

anyway, maybe your LED also indicates a malfunctioning recep.

Old 09-05-09, 02:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Huh. How odd. I bought one at Menards on sale yesterday I think for like less than $9, and replaced the bad one, and it glows red LED.

That means that since I know what I'm doing, your installation is correct. Yes, some glow green and some glow red. Odd they'd pick red, because red in the US means stop! In China, it must mean you are good to go?

Furnace electrical control boards can likewise be confusing in this same(LED light) regard, also. You have to read each furnace's legend to know.

Old 11-08-09, 06:48 PM
I also bought two of these from Menards the other day and both of them are glowing just ever so dim. I have tested this at 3 different places and it glows just the same. According the the manual there can be 2 LEDs:
- the one close the shorter prong (hot side) suppose to indicate malfunctioning
- the other (optional) LED indicates normal operations.

I suspect, that they changed their design and now one LED glow dim, if it is operational and glows bright, if it malfunctions.

I will try to get in tough with them to confirm this, but if anyone else needs their contact info, here it is:
ReSource, LLC
866-601-1917

Old 11-08-09, 08:50 PM
If everything else fails, read the manual..., so I did

From the install manual:
8. Testing your work
(e) If the malfunction indicator light (end-of-life indicator LED) does not light, it means the GFCI does not work normally and needs to be replaced.
This feels backwards to me, but that is how it was designed, I guess.

Old 11-09-09, 08:45 AM
I have just talked to Josh from ReSource, LLC (the contact for North N Tech) and he confirmed, that the LED needs to be glowing a little to indicate, that is still alive. If it doesn't light up, that means it had reached its end-of-life cycle, a.k.a. it died.
Furthermore he said, that there is no malfunction indicator on this unit, it simply does not provide electricity, if it starts malfunctioning.