Lights blink, very odd

Old 09-05-09, 11:56 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lights blink, very odd

About four years ago I installed florescent bulbs in my outdoor flood lights. They started this gentle blinking when off. I just assumed it was because they were florescent lights and have lived with it.

Yesterday I installed a motion detector in my back room to automatically turn on the lights when we walk in. The motion detector is hardwired through the existing wiring to a LED light I bought at Home Depot.

The LED light now blinks at about the same rate as the outdoor lights.

Ever heard of this before??

Thanx!!

T

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-09, 01:46 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
CFLs are generally not compatible with motion detectors or photocells unless the motion detector or photocell have a separate neutral connection and most don't. They draw a small current through the device they are connected to. The impedance on incandescents bulbs is high enough that small current isn't a problem but it can be on LEDs and CFLs. I am presuming when you wrote, I installed florescent bulbs in my outdoor flood lights, you meant CFLs. Replace at least one with an incandescents and see if that cures the problem.

Old 09-05-09, 03:07 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by TLindy View Post
About four years ago I installed florescent bulbs in my outdoor flood lights. They started this gentle blinking when off(ecman51`'s underscore).
T
Anyone?..................................

Old 09-05-09, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Anyone?..................................
What? I'm not anyone?

Old 09-05-09, 05:04 PM
F
Did you any chance you have luminuied lightswitch which it will lit up when the lights is off ?

If so swap for regular switch { make sure you have power off before you swap the switch and note how it conneted before you take it apart !! }

And the other thing with motion switches as Ray highlighted mention about little current still running thru to keep the electronic control working

{ I know if you have cheap motion switch which it do not have netural conductor there that useally a issue there if have netrual with motion switch that will useally slove the issue which I done alot with commercal side I ran into many time }

Merci,Marc

Old 09-05-09, 05:15 PM
E
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
What? I'm not anyone?

Ray. I am sorry. You are actually a great someone, on this board! But I did not think you answered how the lights behaved the way they did (see his first 2 sentences), before he even put in the motion light. (If I interpreted what he said, right.) And if you did explain this, then I just did not follow, and it's my fault.

Could this effect more likely occur if say the switch was not where the power first originates from? Or do the CFL's have a certain capacitance that can make way to ground after the switch is off? But if so, then why don't you see this occur all the time? I deal with CFL's all, the time and have never been a party to witness this.

Old 09-05-09, 05:54 PM
Ray. I am sorry. You are actually a great someone, on this board! But I did not think you answered how the lights behaved the way they did (see his first 2 sentences), before he even put in the motion light. (If I interpreted what he said, right.) And if you did explain this, then I just did not follow, and it's my fault.
No, you were correct. the first time Sometimes every thing in my mind doesn't make it to the keyboard. This was one of those time. I was thinking the lights were for four years controlled by a photocell but the poster didn't actually say that. My assumption and you no what they say about assumptions.

Old 09-06-09, 08:18 AM
E
I hope the poster comes back. I am curious if french is onto something about a possible lighted switch.