Ballast Questions

Old 09-05-09, 04:37 PM
G
Gen
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Ballast Questions

I've got a 4 light 48" floresc fixture that won't light after replacing the bulbs . (It had the fatter T12 tubes in it) So I figure the ballast is bad. I checked the ballast number on the fixture--the part # reads QTP4x32T8/UNV.

So my questions are:
Is this ballast/fixture is actually meant for T8 tubes rather than the T12s that were in it?
Would T12 tubes cause a T8 ballast to fail??
OR....are T12 and T8 tubes interchangeable with this type of ballast? Does the /UNV on the part number signify universal?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-09, 04:57 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
I've got a 4 light 48" floresc fixture that won't light after replacing the bulbs . (It had the fatter T12 tubes in it) So I figure the ballast is bad. I checked the ballast number on the fixture--the part # reads QTP4x32T8/UNV.

So my questions are:
Is this ballast/fixture is actually meant for T8 tubes rather than the T12s that were in it?
Would T12 tubes cause a T8 ballast to fail??
OR....are T12 and T8 tubes interchangeable with this type of ballast? Does the /UNV on the part number signify universal?

Thanks in advance.
Let me make it clear on this one

the ballast label say it is 4 lamp verison
use T-8 32 watts bulb only
UNV mean univeral voltage it will run any voltage from 120 to 277 volts.

That is pretty much a commercal grade ballast and some ballast just can't take the surge very well espcally with some electronic ballast it will not last very long with bad surge.

The other thing is grounding { bare or green conductor } make sure you have good grounding on them otherwise it may not lit up.

BTW this is parallel connected ballast so it mean the lamps are on normal fashon and when one of the bulb burn out it will not affect the others.

You will have to check the wiring diagram to make sure you have it on correct pattern and with parallel lamp normally one end will be shuntted or a short jumpers on the one side of luminarie tombstone { flourscent socket }

Interchange between the T-12 and T-8 both bulbs are the same size but electrical chartics it is not the same at all so do not use the T-12 bulbs with T-8 ballast at all.

Try with new 32w T-8 bulbs not the T-12 bulbs first if that not clear up then the ballast is shot sometime it cheaper to get new luminarie than ballast cost is.{ unless it is a specal designed lumiaire }

Merci,Marc