Yet another motor question-AC or DC??

Old 09-06-09, 09:56 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yet another motor question-AC or DC??

I have a very small electric motor that I have been using on an unfinished project. I bought it from a surplus store that stated it was 120 Volt, so I wired it to a plug, and plugged it in the wall receptacle. I have had it running for about 10 minutes total with no problems, but I was thinking I might need one to spin faster, so I was curious what RPM it was turning. It is made by Johnson Electric, so I took the model number and did a search on their website. After searching for it with no luck ( I figured it was a model they don't make anymore), I finally found it. It is 120 Volt DC!

Me now really confused as under the "application" heading, it states that is used for " power brushes on floor care equipment". Perhaps someone can inform me as to why a DC motor can run on AC?

Here is the info from their website:

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-09, 10:08 PM
F
As you see the spec chart the unloaded speed is 11751 T/minute and load speed is 8242 T/min that basied on normal 120 volts DC or 60 HZ AC.

If you want to speed up little more you have to go with DC and increase voltage little more but just a warning here I do not know what the max motor speed for that size due centifuge force can wreck the winding or the tourqe will fall flat very fast.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-06-09, 10:28 PM
B
I don't want to try and speed this motor up, I was just curious as to how a " High Voltage DC Motor", can run on AC.

In the spec sheet it states " Nominal 120 Volt DC, 60 HZ". I have never seen the word 'Hertz' used in DC wiring. But as far as DC goes, I am only familiar with automotive 12 Volt DC wiring.

Old 09-06-09, 10:39 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Nominal 120 Volt DC, 60 HZ
That means it will operate on any frequency from 0 to 60hz.
I have never seen the word 'Hertz' used in DC wiring.
Strictly speaking by DC in this case they mean "0 hertz".