Where did it go?

Old 09-07-09, 11:56 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where did it go?

We had an old Lifestyler 2800 treadmill that didn't work very well. In order to turn it on, you had to turn the speed controller all the way to the fast side, and after the tread started moving turn the speed down to the desired setting. My wife finally decided to get rid of it and told me to scrap it. Since I had been wanting a good motor and speed controller and I had a pretty good idea what the problem was, I was more than happy to comply. She's been wanting a Bowflex anyway......
I carefully dismantled the treadmill, taking care that if I had to disconnect anything, to immediately reconnect the parts in the proper configuration after removal. When I finally got the entire electrical system removed, this is what I ended up with:

What you see is a United Technologies Motor Systems 1hp 90/115VDC motor (CW Rotation, Class H, Ext. Fan), Dart Controls speed control/circuit, potentiometer speed adjuster, dead-man's switch, power light, 32V 12Amp fuse, power cord and transformer.
Immediately after laying out the various components, I noticed my two problems:

As you can see, the transformer had a bit of a meltdown. Since I had guessed prior to the disassembly that this was the culprit, it was no surprise. However, I cannot find the rating/type/etc. of the transformer. Stamped on the top is the following:
719C2 EIA-17-9044
831 B3
Obviously, I need to replace this transformer, but what kind exactly do I need? I tried looking through the Grainger catalog online and was a bit overwhelmed. What kind and what rating of a transformer do I need? And how much do they cost?

The second problem is noticeable in the second pic, the wire missing on the 32V 12Amp fuse. This is a pop-out resettable type of fuse, which I liked, but I have no idea what happened to the wire that is missing. The only other "single" connector is the ground, which was screwed onto the treadmill chassis. All of the connectors on the control board have mates, and as far as I can tell none of the connectors are "double connects". I could have sworn that I replaced all of the connectors as soon as possible, and now I cannot figure out where the other connection is. I know enough about electronics to know that since it's only rated 32V it's probably wired after the transformer, but I just can't find where it goes.

If it's any help, the motor also had the markings:
9665820 M030MM
10 04 90

I do plan on thoroughly cleaning the motor and making sure it doesn't bog down the transformer.

Not shown in either pic is the "mini display" and speed sensor, which runs tachometer-style off of a magnet on the motor pulley. The mini display also had a heartrate function along with a clip-on sensor. Probably won't use the heartrate function, but having a tachometer/speedometer could be nice. Since it all runs off of a separate 9V battery, I can use it or forget about it. Just some more goodies I got out of the machine.

A third thing, not related and my fault entirely, when I removed the power light from the panel, I had to chew it up a bit to get it out and managed to break it. I heard a glass bulb break, so I realize it's not a simple LED. What can I use to replace it? I'd like to have a small red power indicator in the project I have planned for all this madness.

This is all from a Sears Lifestyler 2800 power treadmill. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-08-09, 05:54 AM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would suggest getting a DC drive from Dart, Galco, etc for about $70-75 and get rid of all that stuff and have it where you can just plug it in and run your motor.

It will have speed controls, min/max speed, overcurrent and all that already built in.

Some come without an enclosure so if you buy one similar to what yours looks like, you can just install it in an enclosure.

Personally, I think W.W. Grainger is a little overpriced for the most part. It was good back in the day, but with the internet, there's way too many places offering the same items for much less(not necessarily cheap quality)

Old 09-08-09, 11:51 AM
T
Well, I'd really like to get this setup going. I don't have $75 to spend on a complete setup, and I could probably find a transformer cheap if I only knew what to look for.

Not to mention my hardheaded tendency to not give up on a project......

I agree Grainger tends to be expensive, I was just using the site to try and figure out what transformer to get.

The controller I have is from Dart, wouldn't other controllers also require a transformer or would it be a complete "plug and play" setup?

Old 09-10-09, 09:37 AM
T
Anyone?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for a setup like this?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: