Adding Two-Way Switch to Three-Way Circuit

Old 09-08-09, 12:25 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Two-Way Switch to Three-Way Circuit

Hello All,

I am hoping that you can help me. I am wanting to add a light to a closet under my stairs. On the other side of the wall to which I want to add the new switch for the light is a three-way switch. In the box for this three-way switch, there are three sets of romax wires; two sets of 3-wire (black, white, Cu) and one 4-wire (black, white, red, Cu). The black wire wires from the two 3-wire romax cables are connected to each other and then to the black screw on the three-way switch. All the whites are connected together (and of course, not to the switch) and all grounds are connected together (and then to switch). The black and red wires from the 4-wire romax are connected to the screws opposite the black screw on the three-way switch; I think that the extra set of romax is going to a receptacle box.

I thought that I could just pull a 3-wire romax off of this and go to my switch, so I tied the black wire from the new romax into the "hot" black wire on the switch (I did this simply by stripping it and inserting it into the press-in hole behind the black screw. I tied the Cu to the Cu wires and the white to the rest of the white wires. I verified that no matter what position my three-way switch is in (up or down) I still have a "hot" wire from my new romax coming off of this. Unfortunately, now when I flip my new (2-way) switch to the "on" position, the breaker flips ...

What am I doing wrong.

Thanks for the valued help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-09, 12:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
Have you checked to make sure that there is no accidental touching of wires in the switch box?

What kind of lighting did you install in the closet? Did you meet the clearance requirements from the storage areas?

Old 09-08-09, 12:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ncdale View Post
I am hoping that you can help me. I am wanting to add a light to a closet under my stairs. On the other side of the wall to which I want to add the new switch for the light is a three-way switch. In the box for this three-way switch, there are three sets of romax wires; two sets of 3-wire (black, white, Cu)
Actually it is two conductor wire. You don't count the ground.
and one 4-wire (black, white, red, Cu)
Three conductor not four.. The black wires from the two 3-wire romax cables are connected to each other and then to the black screw on the three-way switch.[That would be the common screw and one of the two conductor cables is the hot. Good so far.
All the whites are connected together (and of course, not to the switch) and all grounds are connected together (and then to switch).
Yes. That is right
The black and red wires from the 4-wire romax are connected to the screws opposite the black screw on the three-way switch;
Yes those are the travelers.
I think that the extra set of romax is going to a receptacle box
Yes..

I thought that I could just pull a 3-wire romax off of this and go to my switch, so I tied the black wire from the new romax into the "hot" black wire on the switch (I did this simply by stripping it and inserting it into the press-in hole behind the black screw. I tied the Cu to the Cu wires and the white to the rest of the white wires. I verified that no matter what position my three-way switch is in (up or down) I still have a "hot" wire from my new romax coming off of this. Unfortunately, now when I flip my new (2-way) switch to the "on" position, the breaker flips
Actually I think you mean a regular switch with just two screws. At the new switch did you tie the whites together and hook just the blacks to the switch?

Old 09-08-09, 06:13 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks ray2047 and pcboss;

Got it ... I know that I was doing something stupid; I don't know what I was thinking. I added a fluorescent light above the door frame. This is the way that it is wired in my walk-in closets. Would this be any different.

Thanks again.

Old 09-08-09, 07:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ncdale View Post
Thanks ray2047 and pcboss;

Got it ... I know that I was doing something stupid; I don't know what I was thinking. I added a fluorescent light above the door frame. This is the way that it is wired in my walk-in closets. Would this be any different.

Thanks again.
I am sorry but I don't understand your question. Did you get it? What was the problem?