Bonding wire??? Indoor tub

Old 09-09-09, 04:19 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bonding wire??? Indoor tub

I just installed a Jacuzzi tub and it says that the motor should be bonded. I searched the forum and found that you can bond it the cold lines.
Well in my case its all PVC under the tub and the tub is on a slab. Are there some sort of adapters to ground to PVC??? I know it doesn't right but I'm learning a whole bunch of new stuff building this addition .Half the stuff I hear doesn't make sense but its the code so I follow.
Thanks for the DIY Board,
BobHud

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-09, 04:48 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If it's a new tub then it should already be bonded if needed. See if there's a bonding wire already attached to the back of the pump motor.

Bonding is done on metal parts likely to become energized so, if the heater, enclosures, etc are plastic. Then you have nothing to bond.

Old 09-09-09, 05:33 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
If your tub has plastic supply and drain lines, then chances are no additional bonding is necessary. Most tubs have all of the internal components pre-bonded.

Old 09-09-09, 06:49 PM
B
Thanks for the replys. Everything on the tub is PVC except pump motor and heater. All the supply lines are PVC. The instructions indicate a bonding wire from the motor using 6 gauge.
If I dont need a bond for PVC is there a reference I can use if the inspector asks????
What exactly does the bond accomplish?? It has a ground wire through the circuit, a GFI and a dedicated feed CB.
I didn't find this out until i sat to read the instructions on firing it up. Always the case.
Thanks
BobHud

Old 09-09-09, 08:13 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Bonding applies only to metal objects. The inspector should be fully aware of that.

The main functional difference between grounding and bonding is that only those devices which are directly powered are grounded such as the heater and motor. Bonding applies to powered items in addition to all unpowered metal objects like plumbing and diving boards, ladders, platforms and other stuff associated with pools, tubs and spas that could become energized during an accident.

Bonding is given special attention around spas, tubs and pools to make sure that no conductive surface is at a higher electrical potential relative to any others. This prevents shocks and reduces drowning hazard. A slight potential which you might not even notice with dry skin has the potential of being lethal when the body is wet. There is also evidence to support the fact that small electrical charges around bodies of water interfere with the inner ear leading to disorientation or loss of balance which is of course unsafe around water. None of that is really important though when everything in the modern bathroom is non-conductive (plastic, fiberglass, acrylic, tile, etc).

Old 09-10-09, 04:36 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
From what you describe, you'll need to run a number #6 copper from the heater to the pump motor. There should be a lug on both of these to accommodate this.

Old 09-10-09, 04:44 AM
B
Ben
Thanks for the electrical education( check is in the mail) !!
If I understand or misunderstand??
Bonding actually allows any other metal objects / devices in the area to bled thru the bonding wire(once bonded) then to earth. Such as from an electrical storm or operation of an electrical motor. The wire keeps electricity from building up in the hard plumbing or other metals such hard lined facuets.
Sorry so slow,
BobHud

Old 09-10-09, 07:14 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by BobHud View Post
Thanks for the electrical education( check is in the mail) !!
Can't wait to cash it!

Bonding actually allows any other metal objects / devices in the area to bled thru the bonding wire(once bonded) then to earth.
Not necessarily to earth, but it is often involved. You can only be shocked when you touch two surfaces at different potential. For example a bird is safe to sit on a power line because both feet are charged at 20,000V. If he was to put one foot on the wire, one on the pole now there's a 20kV difference between his two feet and he gets toasted. The bonding wire simply ensures that all exposed surfaces remain at the same potential (which is often but not necessarily the same potential as the earth) so that if an accidental electrical exposure occurs, a person climbing out of the tub can't be zapped when he touches the drain, faucet, ladder, etc.

The wire keeps electricity from building up in the hard plumbing or other metals such hard lined facuets.
Electricity doesn't really build up, but that's essentially the idea. If an energized wire touches a pipe, but is then moved away, no charge remains in the pipe. So in that sense it does not "build up" but the hazard is only present when the accidental contact is actually present.

Sorry so slow
No problem. Grounding and bonding seem very simple at first, but they are really very complex topics.