Help with conduit fittings

Old 09-09-09, 06:09 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with conduit fittings

I want to add a circuit in my crawl space for powering lights, maybe a sump pump or ventilation fan. I'm considering doing it myself. I'm familiar with electricity in general, not so familiar with conduits or code.

For the wiring from the panel to the corner of the garage, can I use flexible conduit all the way (about 30 feet)? I need to bend around a joist on the ceiling as well as make one 90 degree turns for a total of 5 turns.

If I use rigid conduit, should I buy a 30 foot conduit and bend it 5 times myself (seems unwieldy), or buy/cut 6 shorter sections and join them with 90 degree fittings?

What type of fitting should I use to transition from inside the drywall to outside the drywall? I see several types of 90 degree conduit fittings; not sure which is the correct one.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-09, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
With all conduit types (flex, PVC, EMT, Rigid) you may only have a total of 360 degree bends (four 90's) So it looks like you will have to put either a pull box someplace or use a conduit body such as an LB or pull elbow. PVC and EMT both have factory bent 90's for purchase if you do not have a bender. If you use Flex of PVC to must also install a ground wire. If you use EMT continuously you do not. (but may if you want)

BTW - Almost all rigid types of conduit come in 10' sticks. You connect them with couplings.

Old 09-09-09, 08:23 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by GroundCurrent View Post
What type of fitting should I use to transition from inside the drywall to outside the drywall? I see several types of 90 degree conduit fittings; not sure which is the correct one.
Usually you would an LB fitting to make a sharp 90 coming out of a wall. This has the added benefit of not counting as a bend because the plate on the LB can be removed to aid in the pulling of wires.