Help! Do I have a Loose Neutral?

Old 09-10-09, 12:37 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Do I have a Loose Neutral? What does it mean?

For a few days, our lights have been flickering a lot throughout the whole house. Last night, it got so bad the lamp blew and the small TV. I ended up unplugging everything and used candles. We have aluminum wiring. I called the electric company and the guy came out and said it was a problem with the neutral in the panel. My questions are: any guesses as to what the problem is? Can this be easily fixed by an electrician? Also, how much do you think it would cost me? My boss' son is an electrician and I've had him out several times this summer, but something always pops up again. I know he hasn't done anything with the neutral. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fanny; 09-10-09 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 12:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is the problem on several circuits? A main neutral could be, removed, cleaned, doped with anti-oxidant. and tightened by a DIYer to manufacturers specs with the proper torque wrench but it would have to be an advanced DIYer comfortable working in a panel near always live connections. Yes the main breaker would have to be OFF but there are even then live parts. If it is just one are two circuits you might try tightening those neutral circuits first,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: