light not working from multiple switches.

Old 09-13-09, 11:11 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
light not working from multiple switches.

We recently had the lights in our basement stop working. Other outlets on the same circuit work but neither of the switches that turn on the lights do anything. One of the switches has been acting funny for awhile. Had to giggle it to get it to work. I tried replacing that switch, but still nothing. Mind you I don't know alot about electrical so don't discount that I put the new switch on improperly. Could that cause the other switch to not work as well? What could the problem be? What are the solutions? Thanks for any help here.

Old 09-14-09, 08:27 AM
N
Need a bit more info. Are these two switches controlling the same lights (i.e. are they 3-way switches)? All the lights stopped working at the same time? How many wires were on the switch you replaced? How did you replace the switch?

Old 09-14-09, 02:03 PM
S
Yes the switches controlled the same lights.

As far as I know they stopped working at the same time although because the one switch had been giving us problems I figured that was the issue and tried replacing that without testing the other switch first to see if it still worked.

There are three wires one the switch I replaced. Two black wires and one white.

I just removed the old switch and rewired the other switch how it was wired before (I think)

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-14-09, 02:38 PM
R
Originally Posted by stephent81 View Post

As far as I know they stopped working at the same time although because the one switch had been giving us problems I figured that was the issue and tried replacing that without testing the other switch first to see if it still worked.

I just removed the old switch and rewired the other switch how it was wired before (I think)

Thanks for the help.
Good question when you wrote ( I think ). On a 3-way you should have 2 gold screws and a black and a green ground screw.. It's important when you remove your old switch that the wire on that black screw is put on the new switch black screw. On the 2 gold screws it doesn't matter. Try to re-think where the wires were on the old switch. If you have 2 turned around it won't work properly.
Jim

Old 09-14-09, 03:10 PM
S
tried wiring it every way possible based off of what you said and still nothing. I do know that there is a current coming from one of the wires.

Old 09-14-09, 04:13 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Your going to have to open the lights and tell us all the wires in each one and how they are hooked up. Is this wired with conduit or cable? If cable tel us how many wires each cable has and how they are hooked up. Pictures would help.

Old 09-14-09, 04:17 PM
R
tried wiring it every way possible based off of what you said and still nothing. I do know that there is a current coming from one of the wires.
One thing to think about is it might not be that switch, it could be the other switch that is bad.

Jim

Old 09-14-09, 06:14 PM
F

Thanks for the help.
Really what you should done before you remove the old switch you should marked it down by the key word is common that useally is dark or odd colour screw on the switch itself.

There is a 9 tries if you replace both switch if not marked.

I belive you mention two black and a white conductor in there IIRC some electricians done that way they used white as common while two blacks as traveller or the otherway around depending on you look inside the switch box if you see one cutted off then you know one is for traveller { myself I don't use that route very often at all }
{ that white conductor should be remarked with other colors like black or red or bleu but not green at all }

Merci,Marc

Old 09-15-09, 07:14 PM
S
Thanks for all the advice problem solved. AA suspicion I had was correct and the person who helped me at the hardware store sold me the wrong light switch to begin with. Bought the right one on my own today and get the wires right the first time. Thanks again everyone.

Old 09-15-09, 09:18 PM
Glad you got it. What kind of switch did he sell you?

Old 09-15-09, 09:25 PM
Glad you got it. What kind of switch did he sell you?

Old 09-19-09, 12:04 AM
E
don't know if this will help but here is a 3 way switch diagram

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: