What size breaker for 4100 watt wall oven?

Old 09-14-09, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size breaker for 4100 watt wall oven?

I just installed a new wall oven which the nameplate states it draws 4.1kW. I believe the cable supplying the jbox to the oven is 8/3 AL (based on the size of the conductors and the 30 amp breaker its connected to). Is a 30 amp breaker ok to use for this oven? The manual states that for 4800 watts and less they recommend using a 20 amp breaker.

FPEW2785KF The breaker recommendations are on page 3.

Are you not supposed to load a dedicated (or otherwise) circuit to more than 80%?

4100/240=17.083...

So the oven only draws a fraction over 17 amps, but 80% of a 20 amp circuit would only be 16 amps. So is the next breaker size of up 30 amps the right one to use?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-09, 04:27 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You should follow the manufacturers instructions. My thinking on this is, this isn't considered a continuous load. Rarely one bakes for 3 hours or more.

Also, as the manual states:
IMPORTANT: SAVE FOR LOCAL ELECTRICAL INSPECTOR'S USE.

Old 09-15-09, 08:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The control board in the oven cycles the heating elements on and off thus making it a non-continuous load.

210.19(A)(3) Household ranges and cooking appliances. Branch circuit conductors supplying [...] household cooking appliances shall have an ampacity [...] not less than the maximum load to be served. [irrelevant sections removed]