Split circuit

Old 09-21-09, 07:52 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Split circuit

Question regarding a split circuit. Was checking a duplex to day and it had two neutrals wired together and two hots wired together. Then I seen there are two breakers on the circuit. I was was surprised being wired this way the breakers did not trip. Is this because both hot leads were on the same bank? Thanks

Old 09-21-09, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Look closely at the brass screw side. You should see the small jumper has been removed separating the top and bottom connection.

Old 09-22-09, 08:50 PM
J
There is no outlet ... just the wires connected together by a wire nut... two hot, two neutral. The outlet has been unused since 1964. We are remodeling the church kitchen, and it is located under the sink. Was intended for a disposal I would imagine. I thought the one hot was a feed and the other was a traveler. To kill the circuit it took two breakers. to do so. Impossible to me, but it did..

Old 09-22-09, 10:11 PM
D
Originally Posted by Jed54 View Post
Question regarding a split circuit. Was checking a duplex to day and it had two neutrals wired together and two hots wired together......
I don't understand???? You say you were checking a duplex.....but then in your last post said there is no receptacle??

Old 09-22-09, 10:13 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I know you want to help your church but doing electrical in anything but your own residence is leaving you wide open for liability claims. I strongly urge you to consider a monetary donation to help hire a licensed electrician for any work in the church.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: