Light Switch..

Old 09-24-09, 03:24 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Light Switch..

Hey All, wondering if anyone can give me some advice or explain to me what is happening.

Situation: in one of my bedrooms there is 3 outlets and a switch. In one of the outlets i have a lamp plugged into, the second outlet i have my television, and the third outlet my computer is plugged in. However, if some one accidently flips the lightswitch i lose power to my lamp and television.

Wondering what the best thing to do is?

Old 09-24-09, 03:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You have a switch controlled receptacle, which is required where there is no overhead lighting provided by the original plan. Usually only one half of the receptacle is switched, and the other half is left live. Is that your case? Or are both halves switched? We'll need to know that before proceeding.

Old 09-24-09, 05:06 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Do you have half dupex switched or couple full dupex switched receptales ?

You have to give us little more details before we can do any change to the system.

Oh by the way the NEC code stated that if you don't have ceiling luminaire you must have switched recetpale { it don't matter if half or full dupex } to order to meet the code requirement.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-26-09, 07:01 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
half duplex switched receptacles.

Old 09-26-09, 06:46 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There is one way you can do but you will need to turn the power source first before you do this.

Anyway let start very simple test here open up the receptale cover and move it out of the junciton box but DO NOT disconnect any conductors { wires } at all for now just see if you have black , red , white and of course bare or green if so., Read on.,

You will have to make a choice to see which one you can converted to full unswitched dupex this is pretty easy but it work the best if you get new receptale for this and get couple of wire nuts as well you will understand in a minuite as I expain more.

Per NEC code you must have at least one duplex recepectale it can be half or full duplex switched verison.

once you know which one you want to keep it on all the time aka unswitched do that one but make sure you read the note above as I mention .,

now once you know which one to work on test with your table lamp both switched side and unswitched side to make sure it is complety off first.

Now remove the duplex recetaple as I mention above just get a new one those don't cost very much and get one wire nut { yellow or red depending on what size conductor you have in there }

white to silver screws black or red only { this part you will have to find out which one is switched useally red is switched but if you know which one is that fine }
the switched conductors just tie together with wirenut and push it back it pretty much straght foward to do this.,,

I know ., I know you will say Eh ? why not use the exsting one ., well you can but you have to understand that the tab is allready broken off you can make two pigtails IMO it look more messy and never get it work right if not done right.

That why I rather use the new dupex very simple and keep the junciton box getting too clutter up with too many conductors in there that is pretty common issue.

Merci,Marc

A tip here with switched duplexs what I do is inverted aka turn it 180° around what the normal one is so it easy to indentify it.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: