Setting up to run 230v Air compressor?

Old 09-27-09, 10:46 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Setting up to run 230v Air compressor?

Well, thanks for the previous instructions...now I'm getting ready to take action to set up my 230 air compressor.

I've opened my panel and found that my panel takes THQP, this is my plan:

1. Install my newly purchase *General Electric THQP220 Thin Series 2-Pole 20-Amp Circuit Breaker*

2. run the NMB 12/2 wires from the breaker to a receptacle to the other side. should be just about 3 feet distance.

3. plug from compressor to receptacle.

Question on step 2:
I notice the bunch of electrical wires running from the breakers into one tube, do I have to have my new wires going into that same tube, or can I just make a brand new opening and just run it directly to where I need it?
Do I have to use any tubing of any type to protect the wires traveling between the wall to the outlet? are there codes required certain type? Im in CALIFORNIA
As for the outlet, do I have to use a metal box or can I just use the plastic?
Thanks for all the help, also, please suggest anything you think I might have missed out. this will be the first time playing w/ the breaker panels.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-09, 12:23 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are the studs open or covered?? If covered is the panel flush with the wall or mounted on top of it?

Do you have a volt meter?. It is very easy to get a GE thin 2-pole in the wrong place. You will need to check the voltage to verify it is in the correct place.

Old 09-28-09, 08:02 AM
D
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Are the studs open or covered?? If covered is the panel flush with the wall or mounted on top of it?

Do you have a volt meter?. It is very easy to get a GE thin 2-pole in the wrong place. You will need to check the voltage to verify it is in the correct place.
The studs are covered and the panel is flush and on the exterior side wall (out side of the house). There is a volt meter mounted aboved the panel.

What do you mean by "check the voltage to verify it is in the correct place?"

and please dont forget my questions from the 1st post.

Thanks.

Old 09-28-09, 08:47 AM
There is a volt meter mounted above the pane
That is not a volt meter. I mean a hand held device for checking voltage. The reason is in a GE panel you can put the breaker in the wrong place and end up with 0 volts between the hots.

In the garage about 6" below your breaker box and aligned to the middle of your box using a hand saw cut an opening for a single gang old work box. Do this with the main breaker off. Check in the breaker box for any cables that might interfere. Do not install the old work box at this time.
In the breaker box with main breaker still off remove a " knock out from the bottom over your hole. Insert a Romex cable clamp thread side down. Have a small handed helper in the garage thread a nut on to it as you turn it.

Run your romex through the clamp and out the hole in the garage. Install old work box, connect receptacle. In the box strip the romex back almost to the clamp. Install breaker. Turn on main breaker. Turn on new breaker. Test between the two screws. If 0 volts move the breaker up or down one slot and test again. When you have 240v turn off the main breaker and new breaker and finis wiring.

The white wire of the cable needs to be remarked black or red or any color but green on both ends.

Easier way to install Romex clamp may be to run cable first. With clamp threads pointing up tighten on Romex. Use Romex to pull clamp into knock-out. Install the nut. Never used them but I think there are also push in cable clamps.

WARNING: Even with the main breaker off there are live areas in the box. Be very careful.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-28-09 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-28-09, 11:56 AM
D
I was followed you real well, until to the part "insert a Romex cable clamp"

I tried to google Romex cable clamp, but not much comes up that tells me what that item is, how it looks like, and its purpose.

Old 09-28-09, 12:33 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts

Its purpose is to secure the cable where it passes into the box.

Old 09-28-09, 04:36 PM
F
Keep in your mind there are few diffrent size romex clamp on market they run from small 3/8 to monster sized 2 inches { I do get once a while larger than that but not very often }

And they are not very expensive at all and they can get in indivual peice or in the bag { useally 25 or 50 or 100 is most common but they have bigger bag verison on hand }

Merci,Marc

Old 09-28-09, 04:46 PM
To add a bit and clarify there will be different size knock-outs but a " is probably best and and a cable clamp to fit a " knock-out. In some cases the knock-out has multiple sizes. It is a bit easier for a novice to remove a single size knock-out.

Old 09-28-09, 06:39 PM
D
This has nothing to do with the original question, but I just wanted to say you guys (Ray, French, Ibpooks, PCboss, and many others) are really helpful and patient. You guys make things much easier for novices like myself. You're in good hands Divinity. But as they said, be careful.

Old 09-28-09, 09:44 PM
F
Originally Posted by dwdraper View Post
This has nothing to do with the original question, but I just wanted to say you guys (Ray, French, Ibpooks, PCboss, and many others) are really helpful and patient. You guys make things much easier for novices like myself. You're in good hands Divinity. But as they said, be careful.
That what we are here for and make it more easier for you and you may noticed some of are electrician by trade and we are very well versed with NEC code and a bit with CEC { Canada Electrical Code } and few members here are very serious DIYer and they do understand the situation in the electrical section in this fourm.

If you have any more question related to this or other type of question just holler one of us will chime in and help you with it.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-30-09, 12:54 PM
D
Thanks for everything, I really appreciate everyone's help...

Ok! I got all the supplies needed. Now, I'm using 12-2 wires, the breaker, and a 6L-20R...

Now what color wires go where? to what?

Old 09-30-09, 01:09 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
In the breaker panel, the bare wire goes to the ground bus where the other ground wires attach; the white wire is marked for a couple inches with red or black tape/marker/paint and goes to one screw terminal on your new breaker; the black wire goes to the other terminal on the breaker. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which terminal.

At the receptacle, the bare wire goes to the green ground screw*, the white wire is again marked as above and goes to one of the remaining screws, and the black goes to the other. They're usually brass colored and labeled X and Y. It does not matter which wire goes to which brass screw.

* for a plastic box. If you used a metal box, you also need to ground the metal box with a green ground screw and a pigtail wirenutted to the ground wire.

Old 09-30-09, 01:23 PM
D
Great! I'll let you know my success.

Thanks

Old 10-02-09, 04:33 PM
D
Ok, now another question.

I got the 6L-20R, what type of wires do I use to connect from air compressor to the plug?

From the air compressor, came out 3 wires (black, white, green)

I went to Lowes, looking for the wires to connect from the compressor wires to the 6L-20R. I looked at the power cords they sold by foot with the gauge of 12-2, it also has black, white, green, but the associate told me those are not qualified and it will not be safe. He said something about the neutral v.s. the ground...etc...

Which wires do I need?

Thanks.

Old 10-02-09, 04:51 PM
You need #12 3 conductor SO cord. - Black, White, Green. You can not use Romex. You will need a 6L-20P plug.

SO cord is different nomenclature then NM cable (Romex). In SO cable all the wire are included in the description. If it is NM it is 2 conductor with ground but for SO it is called 3 conductor.

You could also hard wire with MC or AC. You would need to add a switch though because the breaker would not be in sight.

Old 10-02-09, 04:54 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by divinity View Post
He said something about the neutral v.s. the ground...etc...
You can use the cord with a white conductor as long as you remark it with black or red marker as I described a few posts above.

Old 10-02-09, 06:33 PM
D
From my previous post, i meant to say 6L-20P, not 6L-20R.

I'm sorry for confusing everyone. I have the Plug, gonna get the cord and connect to compressor.

Ok, im gona get the SO #12 3 conductor cord and test run it.

Thanks.

Old 10-03-09, 08:58 AM
D
Ground problem:

My ground connection is way deep inside, covered by bunch of wires...
connected to it is a very large copper wire with this tiny #12 ground(the one im adding in), it will not hold the #12 wire. Is there another ground that I can use? looks like that's the only one.

Last edited by divinity; 10-03-09 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-03-09, 11:01 AM
D
where's everyone? saturday, all must be having fun.

Old 10-03-09, 11:50 AM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yup, out having fun. It's Saturday so I'm pulling wire at my house

Can you find another hole to use? One with another similar sized ground wire?

On most panels you can double up grounds when using 12 or 14 gauge wire. Be careful about trying to do it on larger conductors though. Personally I wouldn't.

The label on the box might tell you if you can double.

If you still can't get it, they do sell bus bar kits that you can use to add on a few extra holes.

Old 10-03-09, 12:14 PM
D
after 1 1/2 of struggling, there were many smaller ground holes but too many wires blocking and I cannot get my wire in there.

I just wrap my ground to a very ground wire and used electrical tape to hold them together so it will stay in contact.

I got my compressor running! YEAAAHHHHH... !!!!

From the compressor so my #12 conductor wire, I used screw caps to hold them together, and used electrical tapes wrapping around them.

Let me know if everything is safe.

Thanks.

Old 10-03-09, 02:12 PM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hold it!

You wrapped it to another ground wire and covered it with tape?

NOT SAFE. You need a good solid mechanical connection. If there are any faults in the compressor wiring and that connection is loose it can cause a fire in the panel. You also take a chance on getting electrocuted by touching the compressor if there is a fault.

Sure, it'll run fine. You've given it 240 vac, it doesn't need the ground to run it needs it as an equipment ground to protect you.

You need to get the ground wire onto the ground bus. Pick up a bus bar kit if the existing one is full.

Old 10-03-09, 07:38 PM
F
after 1 1/2 of struggling, there were many smaller ground holes but too many wires blocking and I cannot get my wire in there.

I just wrap my ground to a very ground wire and used electrical tape to hold them together so it will stay in contact.

I got my compressor running! YEAAAHHHHH... !!!!

From the compressor so my #12 conductor wire, I used screw caps to hold them together, and used electrical tapes wrapping around them.

Let me know if everything is safe.

Thanks.
Eh? I have quirk here use the electrical tape to hold that conductor together that is not the safe way to do it.

If I were you I will just pull couple of circuits off for couple minutes when I add the ground conductor in the ground bussbar { it much safer to turn off couple of circuits and tempory remove it when you hook it up than do it hot }
That kind pratice I done pretty often.

Merci,Marc

Old 10-08-09, 03:43 PM
D
what can possibly happen with the Ground wire? it's only Ground, right?

Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Eh? I have quirk here use the electrical tape to hold that conductor together that is not the safe way to do it.

If I were you I will just pull couple of circuits off for couple minutes when I add the ground conductor in the ground bussbar { it much safer to turn off couple of circuits and tempory remove it when you hook it up than do it hot }
That kind pratice I done pretty often.

Merci,Marc

Old 10-08-09, 04:29 PM
it's only Ground, right
That ranks right up there with, "Hold my beer and watch this".

The ground is there for safety. If it isn't connected correctly you may not have it if you should ever need it.

Old 10-08-09, 05:55 PM
F
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
That ranks right up there with, "Hold my beer and watch this".

The ground is there for safety. If it isn't connected correctly you may not have it if you should ever need it.
what can possibly happen with the Ground wire? it's only Ground, right?

Ray have right point there.

Divinity ., Just don't do anything out of the line here please and the ground is used for safety item in case something go wrong with motor connection or cord go bad etc etc the ground conductor don't use any current at all until you have a fault like I mention just above comment then it will draw the current to fource the breaker to trip or fuse to blow out.

Again please heed our advise here.

And I know you mention tape to warp around the ground conductor that is not a safe pratice due if the concats are not good like loose connection on ground conductor just like someone do a insane game { I not sure which one is to say it in here } and can do pretty serious injury if the ground conductor is not properly hook up.

Merci,Marc