Switched Outlet Problem

Old 09-28-09, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switched Outlet Problem

My lack of understanding has caught up to me again. I think i might have purchased the wrong parts.

I recently had a switched outlet stop working. I tried replacing the switch and the outlet that i thought was bad (only 1 outlet is switched). When i open the box there is a red, black and multiple whites that are wirenuted toegether with a lead coming to the outlet.

My question is: What type of outlet do i need for this 3 wire situation, what color screws get what wires, and do i need a special switch?

The switch box has a red and black, with the white wires nutted together in the back of the box.

Any help would be great, thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-09, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need a regular receptacle (outlet).
The switch box has a red and black, with the white wires nutted together in the back of the box.
I will assume you mean there is one 2-conductor cable plus ground and one 3-conductor cable plus ground. If not post back.
Do you have two blacks tied to a pigtail to the switch? Does the red go to the switch. I need the answers to continue.

Old 09-28-09, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Like Ray said these are common receptacles and switches. Look at your receptacle before you remove the wires. Look between the brass colored screws and compare to the new receptacle. You probably need to break out the tab between the 2 brass screws. Do not break out the tab between the silver screws.