Beaker Tripping

Old 09-28-09, 07:13 PM
Beaker Tripping

Hello,

We recently started running into an issue where the breaker in our guest room started tripping. I belive there are 3 electrical outlets in the room, and there is are 3 switches on the wall near the door. One switch controls an electrical outlet, one the ceiling fan, and one the ceiling fan lights. It started off tripping when we turned on the lights on the celing fan. I looked at the bulbs, and one appeared to have something floating around inside of it, so I removed it from the ceiling fan and the breaker stopped tripping for a few days. Then all the sudden, it started tripping every time we turned the TV on. It's not a fancy TV, but it is an oldie, probably 10yrs old. Could this problem be the TV itself? Or am I looking at a faulty ground within my wiring? I'm fearful that I'll need to call out an electrician to figure this out, and it certainly isn't in the budget right now. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

matt

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-09, 07:40 PM
Bad Breaker?

It's possible that the breaker is bad. You could swap it out and see if the problem continues. Just make sure you put the same amp breaker in.

Old 09-28-09, 07:43 PM
Or to save money just swap it with another (same size) breaker in the panel and see if the problem follows.

Old 09-28-09, 09:49 PM
Just a suggest here.,

Unplug everything on that circuit and make sure the light switch are off postion { three way are little tough to do this } and reset the breaker if that hold then something causeing a short or breaker trip.

Did you have recent bad weather in your area ? if so maybe you may want to check the outdoor receptale I know it should be on it own circuit but with older home just about anything goes so if that affect the circuit I am pretty sure the outdoor receptale is pretty full with moisture that can cause the breaker to trip if done right.

Just wonding what room this breaker is causing you the issue there ?

Merci,Marc

Old 09-28-09, 10:08 PM
I may try swapping the breaker with another one.

We haven't had any bad weather recently. Here in AZ it's just hot, really hot, and thats about it.

We thought it was the light on the ceiling fan at first. Removed one light bulb from the fan and that seemed to cure it. Then the TV started tripping it. And now even turning on the night stand lamp will cause the breaker to trip. So if it isn't a bad breaker (which i am hopeful it is) how difficult is it for an electrician to track down the draw or short and repair? Is this some major work?

Thank you,

matt

Old 09-29-09, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
It is pretty easy to put a clamp on meter and see how much load is on the circuit. If it is an over current issue you would have to split up the circuit or reduce the load. If it is tripping for no reason you may have a loose wire that causes a short randomly (which would be hard to find) or, as posted above, you might have a bad breaker.

A small tip: It will nothing to do with a faulty ground.

Old 09-30-09, 09:09 PM
Alright, some more info. First off, the breaker has the GFCI built into the circuit breaker. I haven't swapped it out yet with another, but what I did do was purchase clamp style amp meter from harbor freight, I put it on the circuit, and it was running at 1.2amps with just the light on in the bedroom in question. While watching the amp meter, I had my girlfriend go and start turning things on, count to ten, and then turn something else on. Well, the light ws already on, so next the ceiling fan went on, and nothing changed on the amp meter. Next the TV went on and the Amp meter went up to a little over 16amps, tripping the breaker, as it is a 15amp breaker. So I went and plugged the TV into an outlet not on the breaker, and it turned on with no problem.

So it looks like there is something on that circuit that is causing the breaker to trip, and not a bad breaker. What are the next steps I should approach this issue with in order to determine where the problem is? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

matt

Old 09-30-09, 10:01 PM
Matt,
With the TV plugged into the receptacle on the other circuit, take another amp reading on that breaker and see what you get, then post back.