Ungrounded outlets

Old 09-30-09, 05:02 AM
Ungrounded outlets

I bought a house built in the 50's that has ungrounded outlets and would like to replace them with grounded outlets, since it makes the house look dated. Don't want to rewire the house.

The house has an interior service panel wired directly to the meter, no exterior shutoff like they would have nowadays.

A friend told me the easiest , legal way to do this would be to find the first outlet in each home run and replace it with a gfi, so all outlets down the line would be proteced

Since in this situation the grounds and neutrals would be connected on the same bar anyway, couldn't I just do that (split the neutrals into a ground and neutral) in each outlet box?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-09, 05:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! No, your friend's suggestion is the way to go if you don't intend to rewire the house. I know the neutral and ground share the same busbar, but it isn't the way it is done. Be sure to use the stickers that come with the GFCI and label all the downline receptacles as "no equipment ground", and "GFCI protected".

Old 09-30-09, 05:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The situation you described by splitting the neutrals would result in a bootleg ground. Doing so would introduce current onto metal parts of the system and could have deadly consequences.

Old 09-30-09, 04:24 PM
Just so you know, your friend's suggestion doesn't give you any grounded outlets - it just gives your outlets "ground fault protecton", and therefore allows you to use a "grounding-type receptacle" (holes for hot, neutral, and ground) for outlets connected to the load side of the GFCI (which is what you want - so your house doesn't appear dated)...

...BUT ONLY IF the "grounding-type receptacles" are marked as Chandler mentioned in order to be code-compliant.

2008 NEC 406.3(D)(3)

willis

Old 10-01-09, 04:49 AM
Have you pulled out the outlets and looked to see if there is a ground wire attached to the inside of the box?

I have the same situation. My house has a ground wire that is attached to the box but is not attached to the outlet.

Old 10-01-09, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Or for a very short time they were attached out side the box. If your comfortable doing it open the breaker panel and see if there are a bunch of bare wires to the neutral/ground bar.

Old 10-02-09, 04:01 AM
Thank you for the responses...hotspot, I did look in some of the outlet boxes, no gound wire. ray2047, the service panel has only one ground attached to the busbar and thats to a dryer outlet, all else are just white neutral, and no grounds attached ouside the busbar.

They seemed to have wired the house haphazadly, an outlet here a switch there, that would make finding the first outlet in each homerun difficult and either puting lights on GFCI or putting lots and lots of GFCIs in. Also, they used small metal boxes, putting large GFCIs would be a pain.

I decided to can the idea. Rewiring the house would be the way to go. I rewired a house once before with the walls intact, and it's a major time consuming hassle fishing all those wires in the walls. just going to have to live with it.

I did want to put in some fluorescent lights, can I do that without a ground?

Old 10-02-09, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most fluorescent lights will require a ground for proper operation.