Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Preferred method to affix elec box to concrete prior to stucco?

Old 09-30-09, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

One more question which (IMHO) belongs in the Stucco forum, but I get better responses here...

I've got a couple of handy boxes embedded in concrete foundation walls on which I need to mount extension boxes to prior to applying stucco to the house.

The handy boxes have a typical 2-hole threaded mount similar to a single gang electrical box.

The extension boxes I'm using have pass-through holes so that extra-long screws can be inserted through the extension and into the handy box.

I'm wondering if I should apply some construction-grade adhesive behind the extension box to permanently glue it to the concrete, rather than just relying on the screws and/or the grip of the stucco along the (mostly smooth) sides of the extensions.

Since it's concrete, I'm of the impression that waterproofing isn't really a concern. In the two photos below, I've got the foam gaskets mounted between the extension box and the concrete, but on reflection, I don't see much value in this -- just something to break down over time.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-09, 01:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The mounting screws you have should be sufficient. That box won't be going anywhere once embedded in stucco. One thing you should do however is plug up the open threaded ports with slugs. A few usually come with each box or you an buy them packaged separately in the aisle by the bell boxes.

Old 09-30-09, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
One thing you should do however is plug up the open threaded ports with slugs.

Yeah, I'll be plugging those holes soon.

I guess my concerns with just the screws is I need to maintain good alignment, AND don't want the threads to strip out on the inset box. Thinking the glue might keep the box from getting knocked around, and take some stress off the threads.

Wouldn't hurt to do so?

Old 09-30-09, 02:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
No it probably wouldn't hurt.