Plug/Socket Adapter (US, Type A?)

Old 09-30-09, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plug/Socket Adapter (US, Type A?)

I have an appliance that uses this plug socket:

I believe it is a Type A US socket is it possible to get some sort of lead so that I can use it in the UK?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-09, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
In the USA that is used on a 120v circuit. You don't have 120v from the mains. Tell us what exactly are you trying to do and one of our UK knowledgeable members may be able to better help you.

Old 09-30-09, 11:44 AM
It is a photographic enlarger for making prints and I assume this is the transformer box.

As the light plugs into the socket not circled but I need to find a lead that plugs into the circled socket and into a normal plug socket on a wall (UK) It looks very similar to one you find on a Kettle but this has two pins not three.

If that makes sense?

Old 09-30-09, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
Was this device made for the UK?
As the light plugs into the socket not circled but I need to find a lead that plugs into the circled socket and into a normal plug socket on a wall (UK)
You mean a cord with a female plug on both ends? In the U..S. it is called a suicide cord because using one can be fatal. Needless to say they are not legal. Are you trying to power this by feeding mains voltage into the circled receptacle?

Old 09-30-09, 01:10 PM
I am not sure if it was made for the UK or not but I am basically looking for something like this

But it needs to have two pin holes not three, this is called a IEC (Kettle Plug) Mains lead (3 pin) I am not sure what a two pin is called and if you can even get them?

Old 09-30-09, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
Liam I must apologize. I did not view your first picture correctly. Till I turned my brightness up I thought it was female but I see now it is male. Sorry. I can't though help you with your main question. There are a couple of people on the board with UK experience but they are probably at work now.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-30-09 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-30-09, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Liam I must apologize. I did not view your first picture correctly. Till I turned my brightness up I thought it was male but I see now it is male. Sorry. I can't though help you with your main question. There are a couple of people on the board with UK experience but they are probably at work now.
Ok no worries, I was getting worried with all the suicide talk

Old 09-30-09, 02:00 PM
Spent far to much time on the internet and found this:

Leads Direct - IEC Connector Types

It looks like I am looking for a C9 or C10 IEC Connector

Old 09-30-09, 05:13 PM
That is IEC C-9 however you may want to double check the spaceing between the two pins some have diffrent verison if you know the manufacter you can able concat them they may know something or two about that and also with the female end side that look pretty much simair to the 1-15 plug set up.

But if you have tape mesureing device I should able tell what size it is BTW for 1-15 slot spacing it is 13mm centre to centre if that line up then it is legit item but if not you may have to do little more digging up IIRC there is midgit verison as well.

Merci,Marc