Outlet boxes are recessed to far into walls

Old 10-02-09, 01:18 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outlet boxes are recessed to far into walls

Hi all,

I am replacing some of the outlets in my old apartment, and in some cases the boxes are too far recessed into the walls. I think this is due to a combination of wall damage and too many layers of paint. At any rate, if I tighten the outlet to the box, then the faceplate doesn't sit right and the receptacles appear to be recessed into the faceplate (or I end up cracking the faceplate from overtightening).

Are there some sort of spacers I can buy to behind the outlets? Or is there some other proper method to deal with this issue?

Thanks,
- Steve

Old 10-02-09, 01:28 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
You need to get box extenders which are commonly available in either flexible or rigid style at a hardware or home center.

Old 10-02-09, 01:49 PM
R
Lightbulb

Hi Ben,

Thanks very much! I did some Google'ing and found a good video showing how to install these box extenders. I appreciate the help!

Best,
- Steve

Old 10-08-09, 08:22 AM
A
I put them in in my old work in my house and they make it look perfect..

Old 10-08-09, 08:38 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You are not supposed to be working on the electrical system of your apartment, unless it is an apartment that you happen to also own. Even then, there may be legal restrictions that do not allow you to perform the work.

Old 10-11-09, 08:41 PM
R
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a brand for these? I'm having a little trouble finding them. Many are designed to work with PVC boxes, and my boxes are metal. Some of the other ones I've seen only come in 50- or 25-pack boxes obviously meant to contractors.

Thanks,
- Steve

Old 10-12-09, 09:05 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
You can use the soft plastic ones in metal boxes. They do also make metal ones -- I assume the brand would be Raco, but that probably won't help much as they make thousands of metal electrical parts. I just got these links from Google -- no endorsement of vendors implied...

Metal version (note with this one you might want to do a few wraps of electrical tape where the split side comes together to prevent it from contacting the device screws):
RACO 976 BOX EXTENDER RING 1/4-1"

Rigid Plastic:
Amazon.com: Carlon PVC Electrical Box Extender (B1EXT-CRD): Home Improvement

Soft Plastic:
Parts-Express.com:Single Gang Box Extender | boxes box

Old 10-12-09, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by RSKadish View Post
Hi all,

I am replacing some of the outlets in my old apartment, and in some cases the boxes are too far recessed into the walls. I think this is due to a combination of wall damage and too many layers of paint. At any rate, if I tighten the outlet to the box, then the faceplate doesn't sit right and the receptacles appear to be recessed into the faceplate (or I end up cracking the faceplate from overtightening).

Are there some sort of spacers I can buy to behind the outlets? Or is there some other proper method to deal with this issue?

Thanks,
- Steve

If the boxes are set back more than 1/4" from the wall surface, you will require a box extender, similar to what ipbooks suggested. If the current hole is cut too large, an outlet spacer is in order, commonly found at Home Depot. In order to be to code, you are allowed no more than 1/8" gap between the box edge and the wall surface, but in regard to apartment dwelling, that is not your problem, so just use the spacers to get the new devices to sit right.

Old 10-12-09, 08:20 PM
R
Thanks, guys! As long as the PVC extenders can be used in metal boxes. I had gotten the impression that they couldn't. With regard to the holes being too big, that's not a problem, all the drywall is flush with the holes. Anyway, since I own this apartment, it really *is* my problem. ;-)

Thanks again,
- Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: