Independent Grounding?

Old 10-03-09, 06:14 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Independent Grounding?

I have a house that was built in the 50's with wire that has no ground. I'd like to put the required two GFCI's and fluorescent lighting in the kitchen. Rather than rewire, can I either pull a 12 or 10 gauge green wire from the service panel busbar and connect with ground to the GFCI's and lighting or put in a grounding rod in and connect to that?

Thanks

Old 10-03-09, 06:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Short answer....No. It all starts at the panel which must be properly grounded, then when you rewire the house, using 12-2 wg nm cable all will be grounded properly.
The GFCI's will provide personnel protection without the ground as they detect differences in amperage across the two poles. They as well as any downline receptacles should be marked "no equipment ground" via the stickers in the GFCI package.

Old 10-03-09, 08:46 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ron826
I have a house that was built in the 50's with wire that has no ground. I'd like to put the required two GFCI's and fluorescent lighting in the kitchen. Rather than rewire, can I either pull a 12 or 10 gauge green wire from the service panel busbar and connect with ground to the GFCI's and lighting or put in a grounding rod in and connect to that?

Thanks

Short answer is no not with current code the older code cycle it used to allowed but not anymore.

It will be far much eaiser to run new 12-2W/G NM cable than try to run single conductor to the panel.

Yeah you can have GFCI hookup sans ground conductor but make sure you use the sticker saying " no equiment ground "

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: