gfci breakers

Old 10-02-09, 08:50 PM
gfci breakers

I am installing lights on boat docks ,it is quite aways from brkr box containin gfci breakers to the last light. A total of nine 60 watt lights spaced at each dock about 75 feet apart in a line going away from the brkr box. The first five on one breaker the farthest four on a second breaker. One light at each dock. I can get the closest 5 of them to work to work fine. When I hook up just 3 of the last 4 it works. When I add the last light it trips the breaker. I have tried different lights at the last one. SQ D 20amp GFCI breaker, wattage is not a load problem. Is Distance a problem? All wirig in plastic pipe.The last 4 lights are in there own homerun pipe that bypasses the first 5 lights. All copper #8 strd wire per customer request worried about voltage drop.

Last edited by zobelec; 10-02-09 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-09, 09:29 PM
What size wire are you using? What kind of fixtures? Incandescent?

Just to verify, you have 9 fixtures, 75 feet apart. So you're talking over 675 feet of wire from the GFCI breaker to the last fixture?

Does the GFCI trip if there is no bulb in the fixture?

Have you tried another GFCI breaker?

If the voltage drop isn't getting you then if the run is as long as it appears, I'd guess that maybe there is enough voltage induced by the current flowing in the conductors to fool the GFCI into tripping.

Let see what the others say?

Old 10-02-09, 09:43 PM
incandescant bulbs tried one old breaker and one new one, lights are in different plastic runs , does not trip if no bulb in last fixture, 8 strd copper wire

Old 10-03-09, 03:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds to me there is a fault (abraded conductor covering, etc.) somewhere between the last light and second from last. Have you disassembled the light on the end yet? I mean, total pull out and do over. Have you replaced the light fixture? Have you replaced the bulb?

Old 10-03-09, 09:05 AM
If it isn't tripping without any bulb in the fixture then the wiring should be good. You've tried different fixtures so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Recheck any splices in the line. Make sure all wire nuts are clean and tight. If you have any doubts about a connection, redo it.

It's still not clear. How far is it from this fixture to the breaker? Is it almost 700'?

Are there any other conductors in the conduit?

GFCI's can be sensitive to the length of the run. Can you put in a small panel closer to the dock and mount the gfci there?

Old 10-03-09, 08:49 PM
Have new wire in last run,also new fixture and bulb.It is over 700ft from breaker to last light post.There are other conductors in conduit to outlets on each light post. Customer does not want breaker box closer for astetics and sceanery reasons. Will recheck wire nuts monday.

Old 10-03-09, 09:20 PM
I will suggest that if you are famiur with this testing what we called Megging test by using the megger it will test the conductor to see how good it will hold up and if any hairline cracks or nicks it will show up something what the standard ohmmeter will not always catch it.

That what I will do in first place due the distance to rule out any bad items it will show up.

BTW run the megger at 250 volt level if it have otherwise 500 volts will work { if you are not famuair with it get ahold of someone who is very famuair with it }

Merci,Marc