Dishwasher + disposal wiring

Old 10-05-09, 09:34 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher + disposal wiring

2 Questions

1.) I plan on direct wiring a dishwasher and disposal (obviously off separate 20amp circuits). How should the wires exit the wall to be code compliant?

2.) How would I wire a double switch switch with 1 switch going to a light on a 15amp break with 14 gauge wire and the other switch for the disposal on a 20amp breaker with 12 gauge wire?

Thanks!

Old 10-05-09, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
As long as the cables are not subject to physical damage there are no issues.

The only thing with the 2 circuits in the one box is that you will need to connect the grounds together and to each switch, and to the box if metal.

Old 10-05-09, 11:43 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So what should the wiring diagram look like? For the light - white all the way to the light, black to the switch then to the light and ground to the switch then to the light
For the disposal - white all the way to the disposal, black and ground to the swtich then to disposal?

Old 10-05-09, 11:55 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by par20pinspot
How should the wires exit the wall to be code compliant?
In many areas you do not need a box for the dishwasher. Simply run about 6' of romex out of the wall or floor into the cavity and go straight into the wiring compartment of the DW. Make sure to leave enough cable so the appliance can be fully removed from the cavity and carefully coil it back with the hoses so it doesn't get pinched when you install the DW.

So what should the wiring diagram look like? For the light - white all the way to the light, black to the switch then to the light and ground to the switch then to the light
For the disposal - white all the way to the disposal, black and ground to the swtich then to disposal?
I believe this is essentially correct. The points to mention are that in the box with two circuits, the grounds from both circuits must be connected together, but the whites and blacks must not be. The black hot wires are switched, the white neutrals are wirenutted and "pass through".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: