Advise on how to run cable from Electrical Panel

Old 10-04-09, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advise on how to run cable from Electrical Panel

Hi, I'm remodeling the kitchen and need to run 2 additional 20 amp circuits, the problem is that my electrical panel is located in a finished space(drywall ceiling) in the basement, and the floor joist run perpendicular to the panel, there is a unfinished space about 12 feet in front on the panel, how do i run new wires from the panel? do i have to use a flexible drill bit? there doesn't appear to be any strapping between the drywall in and the floor joist in the finished area.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-09, 05:37 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Sometimes there is no other means but to cut and then patch the drywall.

Speaking as a person that absolutely detests doing drywall work, it really isn't that bad. I'd rather do drywall patching then yard work.

Old 10-04-09, 05:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
If I understand your situation I would probably just cut out a channel thru the drywall to allow me to access the joists and drill holes thru them. Much easier to patch a channel instead of multiple small holes. The flex bits can work but sometimes can turn up in unexpected places or drill thru pipes and wires you didn't know are there.

Old 10-04-09, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
Other possibilities can be fishing a cable along a ductwork chase or running the cable/conduit along the drywall and building a new chase to conceal the cables.

Old 10-05-09, 09:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Another option might be to run a conduit along the outside of the house from the panel to an accessible or unfinished area. Not usually the prettiest method, but it can be perfect if it's under a deck or overhang or something similar.

Old 10-05-09, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You could also install a permanent access panel. One intended for pluming might work well.

Old 10-05-09, 09:36 AM
What is the panel location relative to the kitchen location? Example-- if the panel is on the North wall , then the kitchen location may be X feet South of the panel , and then X feet East / West of the panel, so the cable run across the basement in a horizontal direction could be 25 feet South , and then 10 feet East. At that point , the cable run would be "up" in a vertical direction into a kitchen wall.

If we use "North" for the panel location, and the ceiling joists are perpendicular to the wall where the panel is located, then you could fish a cable in a North-to-South direction parallel to the joists to the point where the cable would have to run under the floor joists. If the ceiling finish is sheetrock , there will cutting & patching involved.

Old 10-05-09, 12:08 PM
Thank you all for your replys, i should have mentioned that the finished ceiling preventing me from accessing the panel is popcorned so cutting and patching isn't really possable as maching to the existing ceiling will be impossable, I'm thinking my only options are to try the flexible drill bit(i'm hesitant because i have never used one before) or pull down and replace the ceiling.

Old 10-05-09, 01:22 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Contrary to what you may think you CAN patch a "popcorn" ceiling to the point where it is not immediately noticeable to the casual observer. Of course YOU will always be able to see where it has been patched. Such is the way of DIY.

Old 10-05-09, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
The flexible drill bit, IMO, is going to cause more issues than you want. You run a VERY good chance to hit other cables, water lines, drain lines and ductwork. Also, these bits are only about 4-5' long so you will be making holes in the rock anyway.

A popcorn ceiling can be invisibly patched by scraping off the texture, patching the holes, and respraying. I have done it in my house and I am pretty picky about my patches. I have also seen popcorn texture that has been "blended" in that have looked VERY good.