How can I get a cable across a cathedral ceiling

Old 10-04-09, 07:33 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I get a cable across a cathedral ceiling

Reposting it from attic forum hoping to get more responses

I'm trying to add networking ports in each room, and need to get wires across to the other side of the house.

I see power cables going across, but I dont think you're supposed to run cat6 next to power lines. There's a little hole though which 2 coax lines and a power line goes through, but they're stapled so I cant use them to pull my cat6 across.

Here are some pics

Power cables

Pic of attic

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-09, 08:17 PM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure where you're trying to get the wire to from your pics but, could you lay pvc conduit across the opening to get to the other side and then snake your wires through it?

Best to keep the wire away from any power if possible.

Old 10-04-09, 09:15 PM
L
Originally Posted by aandpdan View Post
I'm not sure where you're trying to get the wire to from your pics but, could you lay pvc conduit across the opening to get to the other side and then snake your wires through it?

Best to keep the wire away from any power if possible.
Is a PVC pipe good enough of a shield to shield the cat6 from the power cables?

Old 10-04-09, 11:18 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lolcats View Post
Is a PVC pipe good enough of a shield to shield the cat6 from the power cables?
no. it has to be grounded metal to act as a shield.

you need to be a foot or more away from power lines or cross them perpendicularly to a point more than a foot away before running parallel again.

Old 10-05-09, 09:34 AM
L
I can keep them away 1ft or more till they reach the hole, where they'll have to lie next to each other for 1 ft or so.

Is that bad too?

Old 10-05-09, 10:23 AM
A
It's not the best to have them next to each other but if you have no other option...

Will you ever notice a problem? It's hard to say. If you are truly running gigabit, maybe you'll lose some performance. Will you ever notice, probably not. Your internet connection whether is cable/dsl/fios is still a lot slower than what your internal wiring can handle.

Old 10-05-09, 10:23 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
You can check, but I believe they make a shielded cat5, might help if you have no other option than going through with the ac.

Bud

Old 10-05-09, 10:33 AM
nap
yes, they do make shielded cat 5

Old 10-05-09, 10:42 AM
L
Yes, but the shielded cable has to be grounded right? I dont really have a way to ground the cable in the attic.

Old 10-05-09, 10:51 AM
nap
it needs to be grounded at it's point of supply so you need to run the cable from wherever this all starts to some point beyond the constriction

Old 10-05-09, 11:22 AM
L
I was hoping that there would be more "holes" to run cables across the cathedral ceiling. There's one where the power cables cross over, but what are the chances that there are more such "holes" ? This way, the cat6 will not have to lie next to the power cables.

Should I take the insulation out and look to see if there's a hole behind them? Is the insulation hard to put back in?

Old 10-05-09, 11:58 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
what are the chances that there are more such "holes" ?
Virtually zero. Nobody does more work on a construction site than they absolutely have to.

This way, the cat6 will not have to lie next to the power cables.
I'd take my chances with that rather than trying to fish a new chase.

Should I take the insulation out and look to see if there's a hole behind them? Is the insulation hard to put back in?
It can be a pain in the butt to get it lay right again, especially if the vapor barrier is stapled in.

Wireless doesn't look so bad, ehh?

Old 10-05-09, 12:38 PM
L
I already have wireless, but want gigabit for media streaming/gaming purposes

So is my only option to run the cables next to the power lines (for about 2 ft).

Last edited by lolcats; 10-05-09 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-05-09, 01:00 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I have Cat 5E cables run in PVC conduit that are in a wiring chase about 20 feet long. The 120 volt power cables in this chase are all less than 12 inches from the data cables and I have no problems whatsoever. Understand that this is NOT the preferred method, just that you are not necessarily going to have a problem with data and power cables in near proximity.

Old 10-05-09, 06:08 PM
A
Just like furd said. I've helped run many wires in old schools and other public buildings. It is not uncommon to find Cat 5 laying directly on top of a older magnetic fluorescent fixture or following along with the power cables.

It will be OK. It is not the "recommended" installation but do not lose any sleep over it. Very few installations are perfect.

FYI, Cat 5 with ground, to do it right, requires different connectors and ideally should be grounded at both ends.

Old 10-05-09, 08:38 PM
nap
Originally Posted by aandpdan View Post

FYI, Cat 5 with ground, to do it right, requires different connectors and ideally should be grounded at both ends.
actually, it can be done without the special connectors and bonding only one end will suffice since OP is only concerned with shielding this one area of the cabling. The only reason to continue the bond beyond this cable is to extend the shield to further cable. Unless OP ran all cable shielded, the end at the supply being bonded would do just fine.

Old 10-06-09, 12:21 AM
L
I'm actually going to go with cat6 (future proof?) and have a gigabit switch connect all of them.

I'll have to have 4 cat6 lines come over from one side of the house to the switch.

Old 10-06-09, 05:48 AM
R
You should be OK with cat6 if you keep 12" away from your power lines. If you run your cat6 a side the power cables try to keep your 12" distance. If your cat6 cable just jumps over the power lines at a few different places you'll never see the loss. What is going on with your cat6 cable is it always goes through a error scan in your cable and if it does detect that power line you could lose some signal but I bet you won't be able to see it. A gig is a lot and will work as long as you have the hardware to support it. Another thing to remember is when running the wire make sure you don't have sharp bends in the cable or if you use wire ties keep them loose. You could lose some signal if you do these.
Jim

Old 10-07-09, 05:52 PM
J
I was wondering this a while ago before I knew about this forum. I ended up running CAT 5e cable fairly close to power cables in two wall cavities (they even share the same holes in the firestops). I was expecting problems.

To my pleasant surprise, everything worked fine at gigabit speed. I did a signal test on the cable (courtesy of the Intel NIC drivers on one of my computers) and the signal quality was well into the green (good).

From what I understand, CAT 6 is much thicker and the pairs twisted much tighter than CAT 5e so I'd suspect you'd have even less of a problem with CAT 6 cable.

I would have very little concern running anything CAT 5e or better close to power cables. I wouldn't zip-tie them together though

- Joe

Edit: The CAT 5e cable I used was run-of-the-mill Home Depot riser cable - nothing fancy.