Tandem circuit breakers/incomming line

Old 10-05-09, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Tandem circuit breakers/incomming line

I am running out of space in my box and was thinking of installing some tandem 15 amp and 20 amp breakers. I have never used these before. Is there any problems using them? I realize I don't want to go over the capacity of the breaker box. I guess I am asking are they any less safe? Which leads me to my second question. How can you tell from the main line comming into the house if it's capable of handeling 200 amp box. Thanks to one and all in advance for any help.
Jim
Lima,Ohio

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-09, 12:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by sammyjk1 View Post
Is there any problems using them? I realize I don't want to go over the capacity of the breaker box. I guess I am asking are they any less safe?
As long as you follow the panel manufacturer's limits there are no safety concerns. The panel label should indicate how many and what type of tandem breakers are allowed.

How can you tell from the main line comming into the house if it's capable of handeling 200 amp box.
The conductors are at least #2/0 copper or #4/0 aluminum, the meter is stamped 200A, and the meter can is stamped 200A. The power company engineer usually needs to verify the drop too.

Old 10-05-09, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your quick response. I will check the meter out in the morning and I will check the breaker box out right now.
Jim