Replace timer switch with 3way

Old 10-05-09, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace timer switch with 3way

I have an Intermatic timer switch for my outdoor lights. when I went to turn it on, the lights turned on for a second, then switch sparked, and the lights went out. I pulled out the timer switch, and replaced it with a 3way switch. The timer had black, red, and blue leads. Timer connections were BLK to BLK, R to R, and BLU to WHT. On the new 3way switch I hooked the black to the common terminal, red right about that, and white on the other side.

Now the lights won't turn off. The only way I can get the switch to work is if I switch the other 3way thats in the garage to off. The 3way in the garage that I didn't touch seems to work normal. What am I doing wrong? I don't want to replace the timer with another timer. I would rather have a regular on/off switch.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-09, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
I think you just need a single pole switch. Do not attach the white wire to the switch. It was only used for the timer. Cap it off and tuck into the back of the box.

Old 10-05-09, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
I think you just need a single pole switch. Do not attach the white wire to the switch. It was only used for the timer. Cap it off and tuck into the back of the box.
Even though it is a true 3way setup?? I have never seen that done before (having a single pole on one side, and a 3way on the other side) The timer was in the foyer, the other 3way is in the garage.

Old 10-05-09, 09:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
When you pulled out the timer did you record which color wire was hooked to the common? Did you attach it to the common of the new switch. Common on the new switch will be the odd colored screw. Is there also a two conductor cable in the box?

Old 10-06-09, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Sorry, missed that you had another 3 way. Some specialty switches need a neutral. I thought you had one of them.

Old 10-06-09, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
When you pulled out the timer did you record which color wire was hooked to the common? Did you attach it to the common of the new switch. Common on the new switch will be the odd colored screw. Is there also a two conductor cable in the box?
Yeah I made a diagram of all the cables in the box. Switch for interior hall light is in same box. I can put a picture of the diagram on the thread when I get home. There are 4 cables coming into box. Two 12/3 and two 12/2. 12/2 are white romex, 12/3 are black cables. I assume those go to lights outside. Perhaps I need to also write down what is in the other 3way box in the garage. Timer didn't have a lead marked common. Continuity tester only lights up with red and blue leads on timer. Nothing happens with the black lead.

Old 10-06-09, 07:05 AM
Group Moderator
If you can give us make and model number of the timer we may be able to track it down on line.

Old 10-06-09, 09:02 AM
Intermatic model EJ343 or EJ341. Whichever has 3 leads. Sticker on switch says one model #, and different # on switch. I believe 341 is for sigle pole, and 343 is 3way

Old 10-06-09, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Whichever wire was connected to the black wire of the timer goes to the common of the new switch. The other two wires go to the remaining screws on the 3-way switch. Which to which doesn't matter.

Reference: https://www.gpspool.com/customer/gep...stallation.pdf