Dawn to Dusk

Old 10-06-09, 10:19 AM
Dawn to Dusk

I have two CFL exterior light fixtures that are haredwired to a box. They are controlled by a dawn to dusk sensor. I would like to convert them to on at dusk and then off at 6 hours. Do they make a sensor that I could use in each light fixture to turn the lights on at dusk and off in say 6 hours?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-09, 11:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know of any timed photocells. If you have a switch for these lights somewhere you can install a digital timer switch that has programmable control like you want.

Old 10-06-09, 09:18 PM
You could hook up the timer before the photocell, and set the timer for a wide band (say 6PM to midnight). The timer would turn on at 6, but the lights would stay off until it was dark enough.

Old 10-06-09, 10:14 PM
nap
You use a timer and a photocell in series. Set the timer to turn off at dusk +6 hours and and back on anytime after daybreak.

If you want it to be more accurate, get a very expensive time clock that adjusts to the changing sunrise and sunset. (astronomic clock) or

you could use the PC and a delay timer such as this:

http://www.time-mark.com/dox/pdf/104-330_360.pdf. The relay would be used as an on delay timer but using N/C contacts, it will delay the off time to whatever you set it and if using the PC (as well as feeding the line feed through the PC as well) to control the control circuit, it will stay off until the sun comes up

Old 10-07-09, 11:18 AM
Quite a few of the electronic timers that are sized to replace single switches will calculate sunrise and sunset times, and can be programmed to turn circuits on and off both relative to sunrise/sunset, or at specific times.

For example, you could have the lights come on at sunset, turn off again at midnight, turn on at 6AM and turn off at sunrise.

These timers are not that expensive, from $15 to $35 depending upon capabilities. Note that the cheaper timers use electronic switching, and some won't work with CFL loads, and one of the intermatic models from a few years back has horrible reliability (in general the brand is fine, and I'm sure they've fixed the problem by now, but watch out if you are getting 'new old stock').

-Jon

Old 10-07-09, 03:29 PM
nap
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Quite a few of the electronic timers that are sized to replace single switches will calculate sunrise and sunset times, and can be programmed to turn circuits on and off both relative to sunrise/sunset, or at specific times.

-Jon
any chance I can get you to hunt one of those calculating timers up Jon? Things do change and I have not run across any yet so I have no idea who might be manufacturing them. That would be a nice unit to have available.

Old 10-07-09, 03:47 PM
Here is one of the electronic ones that I am using for a big lamp in my dining room:

It has very basic sunrise/sunset calculations, only a couple of lattitude zones; but I find it does a pretty good job.

Digital Wall Switch Timer - Self-Adjusting Feature EJ500C | Intermatic, Inc.

Old 10-07-09, 04:24 PM
nap
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Here is one of the electronic ones that I am using for a big lamp in my dining room:

It has very basic sunrise/sunset calculations, only a couple of lattitude zones; but I find it does a pretty good job.

Digital Wall Switch Timer - Self-Adjusting Feature EJ500C | Intermatic, Inc.
Cool!!!! thanks. It's been awhile since I have cruised their webisite and since I am not in the position of recommending devices and such at the moment, I lose track of what is out there.

just a couple minutes there and I see they also have one that will handle CFL's and small motor loads:

Digital In-Wall Timer ST01C | Intermatic, Inc.

if they have one that is a hardwired version of this, this sounds like what the OP needs:

Digital Outdoor Timer / Photo Control HB61RC | Intermatic, Inc.