Water in Conductor

Old 10-08-09, 03:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water in Conductor

I am helping a friend with a complete home gut. The load center was corroded and rusting so I said let's replace it. I got the power killed and took the old panel off the wall. Well it happened to be pouring today and I got to see why the panel was so bad. Water is making its way down one of the conductors and into the panel. This is a 200A Service with 3/0 copper. That nice large conductor apparently gave the water a great path. The jacket is dry, the meter base is dry, LBs are dry. It is coming from inside the conductor. As I was staring into the meter base as it poured rain I could see it drip from the line conductor coming from the weatherhead right into the load conductor. What are the chances of that they would be lined up just right for that water to drip and make its way down?

Now to my questions. Do I go ahead and replace the conductors? There is some corrosion on the exposed wire that I could remove with a wire brush but is that conductor oxidized under the insulation? Does it matter? Since electricity flows using the skin effect I would say yes and replace it. Also how do I make sure the service splice at that top of the weatherhead doe not let the water wick in again? The POCO will have to crimp it of course but I am not sure what to say to the serviceman.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-09, 04:51 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by djn602 View Post
What are the chances of that they would be lined up just right for that water to drip and make its way down?
Pretty good, because it happens all the time.

Now to my questions. Do I go ahead and replace the conductors?
Yes, the conductors should be replaced.

Also how do I make sure the service splice at that top of the weatherhead doe not let the water wick in again?
Make sure to have a weather head on the conduit and to leave enough conductor to make a good drip loop. The linesman who hooks it up should wrap it up good with rubber tape.

Old 10-08-09, 05:08 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I would have thought something like this was rare though it is not like I do this for a living.