Service Point Electrician

Old 10-10-09, 12:42 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We want to have an electrician come out and take a look at the service point of our home. 2 Questions please.

1. Can any electrician handle this or someone with more experience.

2. Will they work on other things around the house also?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-09, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
What exactly do you mean by service point? Thats a new term to me.

If you mean the breaker panel or fuse box..yes, thats what they do. And if you mean other electrical circuits around the house..of course. They won't fix your plumbing or a broken washing machine or a malfunctioning door lock though.

Old 10-10-09, 12:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
By "service point" do you mean the main panel? Why are you wanting this done?

Old 10-10-09, 01:07 PM
G

I power line that runs from the pole to the home I was told is the service point (right where it meets the house). Since we live in Florida and some of these storms have beat the house pretty well the line looks like it is sagging more. I'm not sure if a General Electrician will look at it or do I need a Master Electrician.
and if we need a Master Electrician, do they also work on general electrical service calls?

Thanks again.

Bill

Old 10-10-09, 01:09 PM
First you need to call the power company and have them check the line on their side including the meter socket. Have you actually had a problem?

Old 10-10-09, 02:38 PM
G

Yes & No.. when it gets pretty windy we'll see the wire sway and our power will go off and on...

Old 10-10-09, 02:55 PM
Then that is probably the power company's responsibility. Call the emergency number now and tell them what is happening. It could be on your side but if it is on their side the fix is free. They will tell you if they think the problem is on your side.

when it gets pretty windy we'll see the wire sway and our power will go off and on...

Old 10-10-09, 05:38 PM
F
The best answer is call the POCO to come out and deal with their side before the meter and I am pretty sure one of the connection is loose that they should deal with it.

Keep in your mind the overhead conductors is POCO side but with underground it kinda catch 22 it will go either way.

Once the POCO check it out and thier side is good then you will have to call the electrician to come out and deal the rest of it the only place the POCO will look at is the meter socket they will look at it otherwise they will let electrician deal with the rest.

Genral Electrician can cover just about anything ditto with Master electrician is some are stictally resdentail and some are strictily commercal side some do both. myself I go both ways.

Merci,Marc

Old 10-12-09, 06:05 AM
G

Thanks all for responding.

I'm going to call a Master Electrician, just because I feel more comfortable. Will let you all know what he finds

Thanks again

Bill

Old 10-12-09, 11:34 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Often the master electrician will own/run the business and he will have other electricians of various certification and experience working for him. When you call for the job he will decide which person (if not himself) has the right skill and experience to send out to the job site. A master license is not needed for a residential service entrance -- a general / journeyman type electrician would be more than fine. He can also do any other electric job around the house.

Old 10-12-09, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No Pro here...but I'd sure be calling the Power Company first..thats free. If the electrician comes out and says.."oh its the PoCos problem" you still have to pay him for the call.

Old 10-12-09, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
Rule of thumb in residential is everything from the meter back towards the power generating plant is the power companies responsibility. They are required to come out for free and inspect the lines for safety reasons.

Everything from the meter towards, and in to, the house is your responsibility and therefore you must pay the cost.