Garage Attic - Running Romex

Old 10-10-09, 01:38 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Attic - Running Romex

My next project for the weekend involves running romex in the attic of my garage. Recently I installed 7/16 OSB on top of the trusses for storage. In the process of doing this I needed to remove the light fixtures nailed to the trusses. So there is now no light underneath the attic to light the garage.

I would like to hang two lights in the attic controlled by pull chains. One on the near end next to the house and another on the far end. I already have the romex run and laying on the attic floor. I would like to know how to run this in the attic. Do I run the romex attached to the outside of the truss or stapled inside? Obviously I can't drill a hole in the trusses so running the romex horizontally over the trusses is required.

Old 10-10-09, 02:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Only got one question...why did you remove the wiring before you laid your floor? You could have run light wiring, switch wiring, the whole shebang, then laid your flooring down. You could have run your wiring parallel to the joists to the tail end, then run wiring along the rafters, stapling it to them, and likewise with your switch wiring. There's ways to get around the obvious, you have to think through them. As far as where you run the wire, as long as it is protected, inside or outside doesn't matter.

Old 10-10-09, 02:30 PM
R
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Only got one question...why did you remove the wiring before you laid your floor? You could have run light wiring, switch wiring, the whole shebang, then laid your flooring down. You could have run your wiring parallel to the joists to the tail end, then run wiring along the rafters, stapling it to them, and likewise with your switch wiring. There's ways to get around the obvious, you have to think through them. As far as where you run the wire, as long as it is protected, inside or outside doesn't matter.
Yes it's a conundrum of sorts. I will be sheetrocking the underside so that leave me with only one option....to run the romex in the attic and then down to the lights underneath the sheetrock.I do not think I can drill through engineered prestressed trusses to run horizontally accross trusses. Therefor need to run above?

Old 10-10-09, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Engineered trusses or beams? If beams, how wide are they? If they are more than 6" you can drill through them. TJI has knock outs for running electrical in them. All you do is hit them with a hammer. If you haven't sheetrocked yet, why not get all your electrical in order and then sheetrock?

Old 10-10-09, 04:55 PM
R
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Engineered trusses or beams? If beams, how wide are they? If they are more than 6" you can drill through them. TJI has knock outs for running electrical in them. All you do is hit them with a hammer. If you haven't sheetrocked yet, why not get all your electrical in order and then sheetrock?
They are engineered trusses made from 2x4. I have the double cantilever type of truss as shown in this picture. The home was built in 2001. I am trying to get all my electrical in order before i sheetrock.

Old 10-10-09, 05:47 PM
F
Jezz., you can NOT drill the 2X4 double cantilever at all due their stress point is pretty high.

Really it will be much easier to just leave the cable alone just move it out the way when you lay out the floor or have it all done before you do the floor in the garage if you did not have drywall up yet this is the good time to deal with it otherwise it will be pretty tough to deal with it.

Merci,Marc

Old 10-17-09, 09:23 PM
R
All done.

It's pretty slick. I am using one 15A circuit for this. All of the wiring is done up in the attic. I have two lights in the attic that come off of the garage door outlet. There is a switch for these as you go up the pull down attic ladder. I have two 8' flourescent T4 lights (4 bulbs each) that run from the inside switch next to the door. The garage door wires and romex are all run up in the attic as well. There are no wires underneath the attic floor. The hardest part was routing and stapling all the wires to the trusses. Now it's time to call back in the inspector.

I will post pictures here withing a few days. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: