2 switches to control ceiling fan with light

Old 10-10-09, 11:44 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2 switches to control ceiling fan with light

I have 2 switches installed to control a fan with light fixture. Original installation had a fan speed control dimmer switch and a switch for the light. Dimmer was removed (fan speed now controlled by pull chain) and was replaced with a 3 way switch. Remaining original switch has red wire to fan light connected to lower post and a short red wire from the upper post that needs to be connected for power. Can I connect this red jumper wire to the black hot wire on the other switch? There is no wire connected to the common terminal on the 3 way, no other switch controls the fan. Is a 3-way necessary? If not can I still use it without the common?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-09, 04:59 AM
D
If I correctly understand you, replace the 3-way switch with a simple 2-way. Connect Red jumper from HOT to one side; other side Red to light.

Old 10-13-09, 06:09 AM
B
3-way is not necessary but can be used as a simple 2-way. Connect one of the wires to the common of the 3-way, the other to one of the remaining two switched (traveler) terminals (the other will be unused). Suggestion: use the one that turns on with the switch handle up - could be top or bottom depending on the switch.

Power to one switch can come from the same source as the other. Use pigtails from hot to both switches.