Recessed Contact Fluorescent

Old 10-12-09, 02:04 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Recessed Contact Fluorescent

I have a 4' fluorescent fixture with bi-pin recessed contacts. Not working and I assume it is the bulbs. I found 8' ones at Home Depot no 4' ones. I tried a couple of hardware stores but no luck. Looking on line at prices it seems it might be cheaper in the long run to just buy a shop light to replace it. Am I right in thinking the tubes are hard to find and cost more?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-09, 02:37 PM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Check out an electrical supply store for your bulbs, they will have them. The big box stores only carry what they sell a lot of.

As for the fixture, if it is in good shape why replace it? You can always get a new ballast for it if you like, and even replace the lampholders to accept a different style lamp.

You can find cheap shop lights but they tend to have low quality ballasts that don't last long and make a lot of RF noise.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-12-09, 05:38 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
I have a 4' fluorescent fixture with bi-pin recessed contacts. Not working and I assume it is the bulbs. I found 8' ones at Home Depot no 4' ones. I tried a couple of hardware stores but no luck. Looking on line at prices it seems it might be cheaper in the long run to just buy a shop light to replace it. Am I right in thinking the tubes are hard to find and cost more?

The 4 foot High output bulbs are little more harder to find due you mention Bi pin recessed contacts so and want to give you a head up the the recessed bipin verison they do come in two flavours the stanard HO and Very High Output so both will fit but functionwise no they are not interchangeable.

Electrical supply centre will have better chance to have this type of bulb on stock due alot of commercal customer still use the four foot HO's

Here the what the High output base look like

Merci,Marc

Old 10-12-09, 06:43 PM
Thanks all. I may check Granger's also. One problem is the writing is too blurred on the bulbs to read. Will have to check the ballast label to see what I have.

Old 10-12-09, 06:48 PM
F
Ray.,

Let me run the number real quick it may " ping " your mind real quick here it is

F48T12HOCW or F48T12HO41K one of the two will show up real fast and it is a common one

they are 60 watts bulb BTW

if other number show up the key item you will see either 800 or 1500MA rating on the bulb or ballast the 800 is HO while the 1500MA is VHO or SHO

Merci,Marc

Old 10-12-09, 06:57 PM
Thanks Marc. Got this thing free and it worked great in my workshop for a few yesrs. Really impressive looking light. Explosion proof metal housing with a rubber gasketed cover over the bulbs. Way over kill but free. Now I'm balancing cost of new bulbs against new fixture.

Old 10-12-09, 07:10 PM
F
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Thanks Marc. Got this thing free and it worked great in my workshop for a few yesrs. Really impressive looking light. Explosion proof metal housing with a rubber gasketed cover over the bulbs. Way over kill but free. Now I'm balancing cost of new bulbs against new fixture.

Explosion proof housing let you know those sucker are not cheap at all I just have replaced not too long ago it was in little over 1200 for the luminaire that used in spray booth.

oh the bulb are about 10 to 15 bucks a pop so you got a nice one there and you will have more light than standard shop flourscent luminaire unless you got the T-5 verison that will pretty much match it with light level but about half of power useage if I recall it right.

Yeah Granger do have them the stock number is 3V443 the cost is not that expensive { under ten buck a pop }

One nice thing about that EXP luminaire you can not get it break apart if you hit it by mistake it will stay on and also protect the bulbs.

Merci,Marc

Old 10-12-09, 08:10 PM
Thanks Marc. Guess it's off to Granger's.