Circuit hooked to multiple breakers

Old 10-13-09, 11:27 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circuit hooked to multiple breakers

I am replacing a vent hood with an over-the-stove microwave. When I went to turn off the circuit so I could disconnect the vent hood wiring, the vent hood electrical would not turn off. I flipped every circuit breaker individually. Eventually I turned started turning multiple breakers at a time and with about half the breakers turned off, the circuit flips off. So I assume that this circuit has multiple lines feeding it? Besides the annoyance, is this a problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-09, 11:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
Still thinking about your issue. But I can tell you that the new microwave hood will call for a deidicated circuit.

Old 10-13-09, 12:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Unless it is a mis-wired multi-wire circuit, which I doubt, you have the two circuits cross connected somewhere. It is a situation that needs to be corrected. It means checking every, switch receptacle, light, and Jbox on the two circuits. I'd start at any switch boxes with multiple switches that control lights in different locations.

Only time I saw it was in a switch box that had a 3-way for a stair that should have been on one of the breakers and a second switch for a downstairs hall that was on the second breaker. The two hots from the separate breakers were cross feeding each other in the switch box.

Old 10-13-09, 12:30 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response.

There is currently a breaker labeled as microwave, however turning it off did not affect the vent hood.

I should also note that I ran into a similiar issue a couple weeks ago. I purchased a dimmer for the chandelier over the dining room (which also happens to be about 10 feet from the vent hood) and ran into the same problem.

How should I go about determining which circuits are crossed?

Old 10-13-09, 01:57 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
How should I go about determining which circuits are crossed?
Turn off all bu the main breaker. Then one at a time turn on each breaker, check to see if the outlet is hot, if so mark the breaker and turn back off. Turn each breaker back off as you proceed till you find a second breaker that with all other breakers off energizes the outlet.