Source for Amalgamated Electric Fuse Blocks

Old 10-13-09, 02:42 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Source for Amalgamated Electric Fuse Blocks

Helping dad at the old homestead and we have an Amalgamated Electric Corp. 100 AMP service that we need to add either another 60 AMP Fuse block or Breaker and are not having much luck finding a source. Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 10-14-09, 10:36 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
My recommendations would be to try an electric supply house to see if they have a specialty vendor they can order through or an electric scrap dealer they work with. Some cities also have an electric scrap dealer you can buy from directly. Check around, but it usually turns out to be difficult or impossible to find really old parts like that so a panel replacement is the only option. There are usually enough other benefits or requirements (demand load, AFCI, insurance, etc) with the project to make a new panel a near necessity anyway.

Old 10-14-09, 10:42 AM
P
Where are you located ? Not a familiar Brand-Name.

Old 10-14-09, 12:31 PM
J
Good Point Ben, but I'll definitly take your suggestion to check with local supply houses as I am sure this isn't the only one in the area! BTW - We're in the Republic, Washington area.
Thanks for the responses!

Old 10-14-09, 07:05 PM
C
AE was a popular brand in Canada in the 1960s and 1970s. I seen a few of the 100A home panels around , and I have a few of those two pole fused disconnects around, made by AE.

Old 10-15-09, 08:58 AM
J
Thanks Classicsat, just talked with dad and he was wondering if they made any breakers to fit in that panel, (I told him not likely) and if you might have any of those. He wants a 220/20Amp breaker. Either way, he'd like to know your price on what you do have.

Old 10-15-09, 09:28 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Apples and oranges. Fuse boxes were not designed for breakers.
he was wondering if they made any breakers to fit in that panel
I'd consider putting a 100a subpanel next to it if there are lugs on the bus bars on the load side of the 100a main fuses, You could probably due this without pulling the meter.

Guessing a bit here so if you consider my idea wait for the experts.

Old 10-15-09, 09:48 AM
J
Thanks Ray,

Dad's an old DIY'er from Way back, so this particular panel is a sub panel off the Main house panel that is sub'ed off the "panel/meter" at the pole in the yard. He's been agreeable to the concept to just add a fuse block this panel was made for and look into an electrical remodle project in the spring or early summer to consolidate and organize a bit! But as with most of us DIY'ers, he's pretty attached to his masterpiece!

Thanks again for your input!

Old 10-15-09, 10:44 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
this particular panel is a sub panel off the Main house panel that is sub'ed off the "panel/meter"
Is it wired 3-wire or 4-wire? If 4 wire I'd just replace it with a breaker panel.

Old 10-15-09, 10:54 AM
J
It's 3 Wire, but I think it should be replaced either way. Even the wire itself looks old, so it'll be a pretty hefty investment to get it all to the next level.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: