Convert AC machine to DC

Old 10-14-09, 05:03 PM
-
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Convert AC machine to DC

Help, I have a halloween project that I need advice on. I am new to electronics.

I have a 400w 120vac fog machine that normally plugs into a wall socket. This model

I want to be able to carry it around with me on halloween. What type of DC power do I need? I assume i need some type of inverter?

If I get a 12v dc battery, are there options? I can't really carry a car battery around all night, as they are super heavy. What are my other options? Could I use one of my rechargeable drill batteries? would they last?

Do I need a 400w power inverter? or more to be safe?

I don't really understand how it all works, so I am asking all of you for help.

Basically size, power and cost are my three limiters... any advice is appreciated...

cheers,
-e-train

Old 10-14-09, 05:08 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Have you considered dry ice and water? There are also certain chemical mixtures that can make fog. Either case no electric needed.

Old 10-14-09, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
Yes, the size would be too big to carry around because that amount of power from an inverter would take a large car size battery.
The cost would only be a problem if you do not have a lot of money................about two hundred bucks for a deep cycle battery and an inverter provided you have a battery charger.

Old 10-14-09, 07:16 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need a small portable fog machine.

To make the one you have portable, you need a 500W plus inverter, and a couple car or better batteries to supply the current needed..

Old 10-14-09, 08:50 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Bee smoker. That would be another non electric solution.

Old 10-15-09, 10:23 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 177 Posts
Agreed, I'd look into a non-electric solution. Typical electric fog machines have a fan and heater which suck up quite a bit of power. Supplying that much power via batteries is tough and heavy.

I'd certainly recommend dry ice - you can have a lot of fun with it. If you've never handled it before, read up on safety. Not a lot too it, but it can cause some pretty good burns if you're not careful (speaking from first hand experience).

It's also pretty cheap!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: