Outdoor lamp post trips GFCI after several hours

Old 10-14-09, 06:44 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Outdoor lamp post trips GFCI after several hours

My outdoor lamp worked fine for over six years. Suddenly, it started tripping the GFCI breaker located in my garage. It sometimes goes for days with no problems but usually trips the breaker after several hours. Sometimes the bulb actually shatters. I have replaced the GFCI breaker and the dusk-til-dawn eye but the results have been the same. The electrical wire runs under my sidewalk but I don't know how well its protected - it was installed when the house was built. Does this sound like damaged electrical wires? I really don't want to have to figure out a way to run new cables under the sidewalk. I have other things plugged into the outlet, including a refrigerator in the garage. I removed the bulb in the lamp over a month ago and the breaker hasn't blown since. This past summer I also moved the refrigerator to another breaker but the GFCI still tripped when the lamp came on. Thanks for any assistance.

Old 10-14-09, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 286 Posts
Try to isolate everything on that circuit one by one until you are 100% sure it is the post light. If it is the light you may want to inspect the insides of the lamp holders and see if you are getting some water build up. Possibility a drainage hole has clogged up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: