Minimum wall spacing of receptacles

Old 10-15-09, 10:19 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Minimum wall spacing of receptacles

for interior walls, is there a minimum spacing requirement for outlets? I have a bath that I wired with receptacles above counter and then very close to one of the receptacles is a box for the vanity lights. Also, on the other side of this wall is a box for the light switch for the adjacent room. It is in same wall cavity as the receptacle in the bathroom. Ok to have back to back installations on interior wall?

for exterior walls, I thought that an interior and exterior outlet could not be located in the same wall cavity. At least I thought this was true in wall separating house and garage but didn't know if also applied to all exterior walls. if this applies to all exterior walls, could you put a receptacle on one side of stud on interior wall and on other side of stud (in next wall cavity) put an exterior receptacle? I read on Carlon web site something about 24" rule and using some 3M product to seal area so can space at 7". Can someone elaborate?

Old 10-16-09, 08:13 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by hammerash View Post
Ok to have back to back installations on interior wall?
Yes.

for exterior walls, I thought that an interior and exterior outlet could not be located in the same wall cavity.
They can be.

At least I thought this was true in wall separating house and garage
The wall between the house and garage is a fire wall. This is not an NEC issue, but is covered under your local building code. Some areas have no additional restrictions, but some require full firestopping like what would be used in a commercial building. There are various firestopping caulks and sealants out there which could be used. Usually if you have a local code to this effect they have specific products which are allowed, so I'd check with the local authority on that one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: