2 Wire Thermostat question

Old 10-16-09, 09:44 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 Wire Thermostat question

Hi I just moved into my new house and went to turn the heat on and notice that it does not turn on.
My t-stat is an old rectangle Honeywell mercury t-stat.
I pulled it off the wall and notice that only the red wire is attached to the t-stat, and the white wire and the green wire are not attached. The back of the t-stat has two terminals which only the red wire is attached.

I then went to the baseboard which has the wires hanging out of the baseboards. And only the red wire is spliced. The other wires are just hanging out not spliced together.
The wire used looks like 18 wire.

Any help would be more than helpful
Thanks
-Brian

Old 10-16-09, 11:49 AM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is this electric heat? I can't imagine it using 18 gauge.

You usually need 2 wires, at a minimum for a thermostat. White and red are the most common colors. What does it connect to on the baseboard? Usually it would run down to either the boiler, a switching relay, or a zone valve.

Old 10-16-09, 12:15 PM
V
Originally Posted by aandpdan View Post
Is this electric heat? I can't imagine it using 18 gauge.

You usually need 2 wires, at a minimum for a thermostat. White and red are the most common colors. What does it connect to on the baseboard? Usually it would run down to either the boiler, a switching relay, or a zone valve.
I have installed many cameras that use 18/2 wire and the wire size looks the same.
Im pretty sure its oil heat. I live in a condo and dont pay for the heat. I dont have access to were it connects to by the boiler so Im not sure what it connected to

Old 10-16-09, 12:34 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You most likely have hot water baseboard convectors and the thermostat wiring (again, most likely) originally went to a zone valve for the baseboard convector(s).

Since you are not paying for the heat there is likely a "master" thermostat somewhere that you do not have control over. That pretty much leaves you at the mercy of whoever does have control over the master thermostat and when you get too hot you have to open a window. Conversely, if you get too cold you need to put on some more clothes.

What you might have is a system that measures the outside temperature and then "resets" the temperature of the water flowing through your baseboards. This can be a fairly good system if it is properly set up but it can also be a real pain in the rear always being either too hot or too cold if not properly set up.

I suggest that you ask your condo association for more information on how your heat is controlled. If you have an on-site maintenance staff they should know.

Old 10-17-09, 09:33 AM
V
Originally Posted by furd View Post
You most likely have hot water baseboard convectors and the thermostat wiring (again, most likely) originally went to a zone valve for the baseboard convector(s).

Since you are not paying for the heat there is likely a "master" thermostat somewhere that you do not have control over. That pretty much leaves you at the mercy of whoever does have control over the master thermostat and when you get too hot you have to open a window. Conversely, if you get too cold you need to put on some more clothes.

What you might have is a system that measures the outside temperature and then "resets" the temperature of the water flowing through your baseboards. This can be a fairly good system if it is properly set up but it can also be a real pain in the rear always being either too hot or too cold if not properly set up.

I suggest that you ask your condo association for more information on how your heat is controlled. If you have an on-site maintenance staff they should know.

Just had the super of the condo come over and he looked at the heat. He said it looks like my zone valve head needs to be replaced. He said that is my responsibility to replace it. I looked online and found it for about $65
this is the part
Taco 555-050RP - Taco - Zone Valve Power Head (Series 570)

He said a plumber would charge me about $600 to replace.
It looks like it just twists on and you connect two wires and thats it.
Any suggestions?
thanks
-Brian

Old 10-18-09, 03:40 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Post a picture of where the powerhead would fasten to the valve. You need 24 volts AC to actuate the zone valve and the thermostat is simply an on-off switch in that circuit. Somewhere there will be a small transformer that is wired in with the thermostat and the zone valve powerhead. Do you have a voltmeter?

BTW, $600 to install the powerhead that you provide is outrageous. The plumber may charge $100 for the trip but installing the powerhead and connecting the wires is a five minute job.

Old 10-19-09, 03:13 PM
V
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Post a picture of where the powerhead would fasten to the valve. You need 24 volts AC to actuate the zone valve and the thermostat is simply an on-off switch in that circuit. Somewhere there will be a small transformer that is wired in with the thermostat and the zone valve powerhead. Do you have a voltmeter?

BTW, $600 to install the powerhead that you provide is outrageous. The plumber may charge $100 for the trip but installing the powerhead and connecting the wires is a five minute job.
Well I just sprayed some wd-40 on the valve and turn the manual switch and now i have heat.

Going to let the heat cool down and then connect the thermostat back up and see if I have heat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: