Partially-recessed dual-gang boxes

Old 10-16-09, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Partially-recessed dual-gang boxes

Hello all. I've got a dual gang box that currently has a single switch in it, and therefore has a dual-gang cover plate on it with a single toggle switch hole on the left side. The box also serves as a junction point and due to the volume of wires in the box I cannot change it out to a single gang. However, I really dislike the look of the large cover - it looks like something was there once and then moved.

Is there a such thing as a double gang box with one side that is intended to be recessed into the wall (e.g. behind the wall board). See attached pics.

and

Basically, what I want to do is take a double gang box, and conceal half of it so I can use a single gang switch plate.

A few questions:

1) Does this type of box exist? What is it called so I can look for it?
2) If it does not exist, can I 'fake it' by putting a backer of some type to act as a recessed cover, and then plaster over it to conceal?
3) Anything to be concerned about with this approach?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-09, 01:16 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Yes you can cut the old box out and install a 4x4 steel box with an offset mud ring. You'll hopefully have enough extra wire to make sure you have the necessary 3" sticking out of the box on all of the wires.

Or you could install a single gang mudring on the new 4x4 if the side-to-side position isn't that important.

You must use an approved electrical box. A home made solution is not allowed.

Old 10-16-09, 01:51 PM
R
Originally Posted by bcarlisle View Post
Hello all. I've got a dual gang box that currently has a single switch in it, and therefore has a dual-gang cover plate on it with a single toggle switch hole on the left side. The box also serves as a junction point and due to the volume of wires in the box I cannot change it out to a single gang. However, I really dislike the look of the large cover - it looks like something was there once and then moved.

Is there a such thing as a double gang box with one side that is intended to be recessed into the wall (e.g. behind the wall board). See attached pics.

and

Basically, what I want to do is take a double gang box, and conceal half of it so I can use a single gang switch plate.

A few questions:

1) Does this type of box exist? What is it called so I can look for it?
2) If it does not exist, can I 'fake it' by putting a backer of some type to act as a recessed cover, and then plaster over it to conceal?
3) Anything to be concerned about with this approach?

Thanks!!

My question to you is how many wires are there in that box? They do make deep boxes and you may have enogh cub in. for the wires.
Jim

Old 01-06-10, 07:08 PM
Thank you both for your replies - the offset mud ring is just what I was looking for. I assume I can plaster over the inset side?

Rukkus - I think a deep single gang box may be an even better idea. I'll check code and probably go that route. I don't know why I always tend to overcomplicate things...

Old 01-07-10, 08:27 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by bcarlisle View Post
I assume I can plaster over the inset side?
Yes..........................