Wire color convention

Old 10-18-09, 07:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wire color convention

Am I understanding this right? In switch loops you recode the white wire as black only when you're using 2-wire cable. When you're using conduit or 3-wire cable you use red for the second "hot" wire.

Old 10-18-09, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 348 Votes on 301 Posts
You may re-identify the white as a hot conductor with any cable combination. (2 and 3 wire) You may NOT re-identify a white in conduit. You must re-pull the wire.

In a 3 wire cable, I like to tape the white as black and use the "two" blacks as travelers and the red as the common in a 3 way circuit.

Old 10-18-09, 08:18 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Am I understanding this right? In switch loops you recode the white wire as black only when you're using 2-wire cable
It must be some color other then white or green but color isn't specified. in the code. Load wire would be more accurate then "hot".
When you're using conduit or 3-wire cable you use red for the second "hot" wire.
Code does not specify color except that it not be green or white. However many electrician do use red.

One thing though on using two wire cable for a switch loop the white should be used as line and black as load so you don't end up with two whites at the light. Yes, the white should be remarked but that is just an extra precaution.

Old 10-18-09, 09:48 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
With the cables yes you can remarked the white to other colours beside not green or grey that two colours is not used in for hot conductor colour codes { In USA }

Normally with cables I remarked to either red or bleu depending on the set up but if this is in conduit I pull other colours for travaller or power source

Normally I used purple for travallers on 120 volt system but on 277 I used pink for travallers.

Merci.

Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: