house grounding wire question

Old 10-18-09, 11:17 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
house grounding wire question

I traced the wire from the water pipe up into the attic and back down to where it connects to a white wire from another cable, and then runs to the grounding bar. Is something wrong there? Shouldn't that ground wire be one continuous run with nothing else connected to it? I've been attempting to trace how that ground wire seems to have a tiny amount of current in it, and am thinking that this might be the culprit. Any advice? Thanks.

Old 10-18-09, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Sounds like somewhere a neutral connection was lost and someone did some creative and dangerous wiring in an attempt to get the circuit working again.

If you disconnect the connection do you lose any part of a circuit? Olny open the splice after turning off the power to the circuit.

I would start looking in the box closest to the splice.

Old 10-18-09, 02:00 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. The splice occurs inside the circuit breaker panel, so I'll have to follow that wire up into the attic and see what it's connected to up there. I think you're right, and somebody did some creative grounding, because from what I can see, it looks like only the white wire is connected inside the panel. Either way, I'm guessing it shouldn't be tied in to that main grounding wire, huh?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: