Hanging heavy chandelier

Old 10-18-09, 01:16 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hanging heavy chandelier

Hello. I have recently moved into an old victorian flat. I have a heavy chandelier I would like fitted. I also have a ceiling rose (lightweight) & chandelier hook. Currently there is only bulb & fitting in place. I removed this to look above & there is a small hole & junction box fitted to a piece of wood which appears to be fitted to a joist above. There is no entry from floor above (seperate flat & laminate floor). I was told that the hook should be fitted to the joist & chandelier to the hook but the joist is someway up the hole & i would need one hell of a long screw to reach it, added to this i have a ceiling rose to fit. I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you

Old 10-18-09, 02:43 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the forums. This is primarily a US/Canadian forum but we have some European posters. Hang in there and one of them should be along to help.

Old 10-18-09, 05:03 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lindahh4 View Post
Hello. I have recently moved into an old victorian flat. I have a heavy chandelier I would like fitted. I also have a ceiling rose (lightweight) & chandelier hook. Currently there is only bulb & fitting in place. I removed this to look above & there is a small hole & junction box fitted to a piece of wood which appears to be fitted to a joist above. There is no entry from floor above (seperate flat & laminate floor). I was told that the hook should be fitted to the joist & chandelier to the hook but the joist is someway up the hole & i would need one hell of a long screw to reach it, added to this i have a ceiling rose to fit. I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you
How many KG the chandelier it is ? if in 20 to 30 KG range you will need a lag screw to joist but watch out where you run the lag make sure you get it in dead centre.

Or other option you can have expainding cross beam which it will look like tubear steel but you screw it out and it will press agaist both joints but watch the KG rating IIRC I think it will go up to 40 KG but if go over 40 KG then you will have no choice but breach open the ceiling and get a hevey cross joint something like 4X4 { 101 X 101 or 100X100mm } and lag screw with both angle iron peice and both cross and standard joist then marked where the cross joint and get the luminaire rose box set up then reclose the ceiling and patch it up to match the exsting ceiling from there you will hook up in proper way.

If more question just holler

Merci.
Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: