Electrician & Certification

Old 10-18-09, 01:20 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Electrician & Certification

Hello ,
I am trying to make a career change and want to become a certified electrician. I wanted to know in Morris County , NJ what are the classes to take to become certified electrician.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-09, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Most techincal schools will offer pre-examination courses, but it takes at least a couple of years of apprenticeship as well as a lot of practical experience before you would be able to take the exam. I am not sure of the NJ state exam, but you could contact your secretary of state for details. Quite often they will send you sample tests to study with. Don't worry it won't help you pass the exam, it will just give you an idea as to what is expected. Ours is part open book, and you can take the NEC with you, but you only have 60 seconds per question, so if you don't know the material, it won't help having the NEC with you.
Good luck with the venture.

Old 10-19-09, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello

I have just completed a trade school and got a certificate of completion of 900hrs for the electrical program I have been looking into getting into a union or just even a company out here in ny with no luck just wondering if you have any advice for someone trying to break in to a new career?

Old 10-19-09, 01:31 PM
R
NJ and NY are both union-friendly states, so its best to track down a union electrician and ask the location of their local hall. (Go to a job site -- any union job site -- and ask to see the Electrical Foreman.)

Go to the hall and tell them you want to be an electrician. Be prepared to spend the next five years (in NY, don't know about NJ) in the apprentice program.

A trade school is a good start. In NY the IBEW recognizes certain school credits and may advance you so you don't have to put in the full five years.

Old 10-20-09, 04:24 PM
I once wanted to be an electrician until I saw that apprentices were barely making over minimum wage. Good luck in your new career.

Old 10-20-09, 07:19 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Drive around your local area and look for construction sites. If you don't see any, find another area to start your career. If you do find some, talk to some of the electrical guys there and they can give you some resources for your area. There are some places where trades are in demand, but in many places there are guys with decades of experience out of work and simply no work at all for helpers or apprentices. Good luck, I wish you the best.

Old 10-21-09, 04:48 AM
R
My post above was for the NYS certification program. In certain situations you can join the union and not go for the state certification.

HotinOKC, depending on the county in NY, a union apprentice gets progressively better pay as they get further into the program. A 1st-year might make $10 or $12. The last time I checked a journeyman wireman in my county makes around $43.50 including bennies.

Old 11-01-09, 06:49 PM
Follow the link;

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/electric/elecqual.pdf

PM me for more info..

Last edited by electures; 11-01-09 at 08:12 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-01-09, 07:34 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Thread is only 2 weeks old, and you can't advertise on the forums.

Old 11-01-09, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Thread is only 2 weeks old, and you can't advertise on the forums.
All fixed. Are you happy now?