Dryer Outlet 4 prong

Old 10-20-09, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer Outlet 4 prong

I have a junction box with a 220 bx line running in (2 hots and a neutral with armor being
ground right?), and a 220 romex like line coming out going to a 3 prong outlet

I would like to change this to a modern 4 prong dryer outlet, is that 4th prong just a ground
wire that can be attached via screw to the metal junction box,

Of course I need to run a new 220 romex 4 wire, from the box to that 4 prong outlet,

Is this correct? Thanks

Old 10-20-09, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
Does the old cable have a thin silver wire in it or back wrapped around the sheath?

Old 10-20-09, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Does the old cable have a thin silver wire in it or back wrapped around the sheath?
No just a light brown wrap over all wires inside the armor, its screwed going in and at the
breaker box for ground, I am not going to get to that today, I need to get the new 4
prong outlet and wire later tonight anyway.

I was just double checking here to make sure first, hots to hot and neutrals to each other
and the ground wire directly screwed to box. I think in a basement grounding the case
is a real good idea 4 prong is the way to go. plus it does not look like a properly fastened
outlet anyway wires loose going in no clamp

Thanks

UPDATE
No what I was just thinking? the armor in the breaker box is screwed to the box and the
neutrals and new romex ground wires go on the same bus, I don't have separate bus bars
will that 4th prong really mean anything anyway, if not I will just replace with a new 3
prong instead, I would like to go 200 with a nice new modern panel one day but our 100 is
working fine right now.

Last edited by sonny; 10-20-09 at 02:52 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: