spaghetti, how do i wire this switch?

Old 12-07-09, 04:20 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Thanks for letting us know you got it. Beer 4U2Beer 4U2Beer 4U2
but regarding the posting above, why is it wrong to put the white wire from the timer to the outlet?
It isn't if you had two screws but you only have one and you can't put two wires on one screw.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-09, 05:17 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
ok well i did so what's the reason why i 'shouldn't'

Old 12-08-09, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post
ok well i did so what's the reason why i 'shouldn't'
Because you may not get a good connection. It simply isn't designed to provide a connection for two wires.

Old 12-08-09, 07:44 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
You CAN put two wires under the single screw IF the screw has a pressure plate between the screw head and the wires. One wire, straight, on each side of the screw shank, under the pressure plate. When this arrangement is found on devices such as receptacles and switches it is usually called back-connected or back-wired. The screw presses on the pressure plate and the wires under the pressure plate are securely held. It is a method far superior to back-stabbed and in my opinion it is also superior to wrapping a wire around a screw. Definitely superior if the wire is stranded.

Note that when a pressure plate exists you DO NOT wrap the wire around the screw.

Old 12-09-09, 09:41 AM
Furd makes a very good point I should have included that information in case you have changed your switch but the picture you posted does not appear to be a back wired fixture.

Old 12-13-09, 07:30 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
well maybe next time i'm at the depot i can look for a new outlet with a pressure plate..i'm assuming thats a common thing available...but for now things are running well. It will amek ti look better wiht the new cover plate too.

i actually have to buy a bunch of new outlets since i painted my living room and the dull drab outets/covers all need updated it's not that they are even dirty, it's that they are a beige/white and look really bad next to all my shiny white gloss baseboards and we cant have that