Wiring a gas fireplace to code

Old 10-26-09, 05:01 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a gas fireplace to code

We are installing a gas fireplace and I'd like to do everything myself other than the gas piping. I've done electrical work before and have no doubt I can do it, but I'm not familiar with the "code" to do this.

Can I simply tap into a receptacle that is close by to bring the wiring in to the fireplace? If so, is there anything about the circuit that I tap into that I need to make sure of (like # of receptacles, etc)? If not, how should this be done?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-09, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 205 Votes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by wagert65 View Post
Can I simply tap into a receptacle that is close by to bring the wiring in to the fireplace? If so, is there anything about the circuit that I tap into that I need to make sure of (like # of receptacles, etc)? If not, how should this be done?
In most cases it would be fine to tap off an existing circuit for your fireplace. Your likely only running the ventilation fan which is a minor load. To be on the safe side, turn off the circuit and see what all gets turned off. No need to count unused receptacles (outlets) since there is no maximum per circuit. Your total for a 15 amp circuit should not be higher then 1440 watts (assuming you have things on there that are on for 3 hours or more)

When you do tap off, make sure you match the wire size to the rating of the breaker/fuse. #14 for 15 amp and #12 for 20 amp.

Old 10-26-09, 08:08 PM
W
Thanks that's exactly what I needed to know. :-)

Old 10-27-09, 09:40 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 108 Votes on 100 Posts
Remember... to be code compliant, you can't tap off the kitchen countertop circuit nor any bathroom receptacle circuit.

Most likely it won't be an issue... but just wanted to be sure it was said.

Old 10-27-09, 11:15 AM
W
Thanks for the extra info Zorfdt. The fireplace isn't near the kitchen or bathrooms, but that's great to know.